Living Room Light Fitting problems

If you have two ceiling lights, with a Twin & Earth in the second, I think it's like this:

The three core carries two switchwires + a neutral. One of the switchwires feeds the light where the 3 core is. The other switchwire links to the red of the twin and earth cable. The neutral of the 3 core links to the black of the twin and earth and to the N of the fitting.

Your only problem is which core of the 3 core cable is which. I could guess, but don't take this as gospel: Red live for the fitting where the 3 core is. Yellow, live for the other fitting. Blue - neutral.

Just one more thing?

Did the single gang switch plus one side of the 2G operate one light, and the other side of the 2G switch, the other?

Sponsored Links
Sorry my replies are taking ages! Earlier I removed a piano from my living room - that'll be the dimly lit living room - and just now my computer went totally crazy.

Right. Switch question. My single switch and one side of the double operated both lights. The other side of the double is a two way with my first floor landing light.

What confused me is the colours dangling from my ceiling don't seem to agree. One has a Red, Blue and plain Yellow. The other has Red, Black Yellow/Green. However on a positive note you've now taught me that one wire operated the switches and the other the supply. Thank you.

Hi Securespark,

Sorry for the lack of communication! I've been decorating said living room all weekend. Finally finished at 10pm in time for Lost on Sky and collapsed into a heap!

In short, no they're not. Not tried yet. I attempted to leave work early about 10 minutes ago and was thwarted.

Did you see what I said about my switches? I remember when I opened the fitting I thought it was strange that both the live RED wires were connected to the live thingy and onlya Yellow was isolated. Did you think that maybe the yellow is a live wire?

Sponsored Links
Hi Securespark (or anyone else willing to help)

Just taken a photo of the other light in the living room.

I might have cracked it. It appears that the Yellow wire is live. It goes straight into a live connection. Strangely, when I opened up the original fitting this wire was alone, but is that because it is for the switch?

I am rather hoping that this new picture helps.
1000822ih2.jpg

Many thanks.

I'm leaving work early to try and solve my lighting problem. Would you experts here on the forum think that my latest hunch is correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back