Locating fault in a house full of craft junk?

Yep, and at the business end of the drill, the rectangular frame has a couple of holes into which the heads of the gearbox casing screws fit. In terms of drill stands, I still have both types. This one is, in terms of the method of attaching the drill, essentially a vertical version of what I've just illustrated - for the earliest B&D drills without collars ...

upload_2018-3-31_16-32-0.png

... but this one is for the later drills with collars (the collar being the only means of attachment of the drill)....

upload_2018-3-31_16-35-26.png

Sponsored Links
This one was marginally safer than a circular saw blade in an arbour (at least it has some sort of guard for the blade) ...

upload_2018-3-31_16-56-6.png

You show the latter B&D lathe, the early B&D did not have a variable speed gear box, so the cradle was shorter, however I got a horizontal drill stand for latter drill and mounted it on a bit of wood just before the lathe bed so giving room to turn bowls. But hammer drills were no good with plate as chuck with hammer off could float in and out about 1/8" you could only turn between centres, if that is you could get the chuck off. In those early days there was no spindle lock, it was hit the chuck key with a hammer job.

Sponsored Links
You show the latter B&D lathe, the early B&D did not have a variable speed gear box, so the cradle was shorter ....
I'm not sure that I have still got any of the earliest drills, with a single-speed gearbox, but I'm pretty sure that either type would fit into those cradles, since the only difference from the ones with the 2-speed gearbox was that the gearbox was a bit longer for the latter. However, they still had the same two 'locating screwheads' and, as you can see in my photo, there is plenty more of that ~½" screw at the back end of the cradle to cope with a shorter, single speed, drill.
... however I got a horizontal drill stand for latter drill and mounted it on a bit of wood just before the lathe bed so giving room to turn bowls....
one can reverse the cradle and turn things of any size beyond the end of the lathe bed - although one then has no tool rests etc.
In those early days there was no spindle lock, it was hit the chuck key with a hammer job.
I don't think any of mine have spindle locks - so "hit the chuck key with a hammer" is what I'm used to :)

Kind Regards, John

Once you could get an attachment for your B&D D500 to turn it into a rotary mower.

I remember my Dad once putting one of the whisks from Mum's hand-held mixer into a drill to stir paint.

Amused she was not.

So tomorrow I will have to borrow my sons test gear, likely he nicked it of me to start with. I have two new consumer units sitting there ready to fit, one old plastic and one metal, but think need to find the fault first. Bet it turns out to be something daft?

Hi Eric, as others have posted, I'm sorry for your loss. Did you get a chance to test the circuits?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back