Locating fault in a house full of craft junk?

Sponsored Links
Can you explain this for me, bearing in mind I am a bear of very little brain...
If I understand him correctly, eric has confirmed L, N and E end-to-end continuity around the ring. Unless something totally bizarre has happened (e.g. a new bit of cable has appeared, or maybe if it were a figure-of:cool:, that means that the incoming and outgoing cables are still joined in every back box, yet in no case are the conductors connected to tyhe socket!

Kind Regards, John

No. Only continuity on N & E. Line continuity is broken.
When eric wrote:
... tested ring and neutrals and earth still show as being a ring.
... I assumed that "ring" mean Line. Maybe I misunderstood?

If there is no ring continuity (but there is N continuity), and if none of the sockets on the ring are live, then there must be faults in the L connections from CU to both the first and last sockets on the ring.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think you have. That would be a very strange way to write it.
It would - but I was considering the fact that some of eric's posts do sometimes involve 'strange' wording (probably through no fault of his own).

Anyway, as I've just written, if there is end-to-end neutral continuity, no L continuity and no sockets working on the ring then, totally bizarre possibilities aside, there must be faults in the L connections from the CU to both the first and last sockets on the ring.

Kind Regards, John

OK wife has been tiding up, now can't find the meter, so in real terms I have gone on strike until she finds where she has put my meter, or more likely removed what ever she has put on top of it.

There may be some live sockets in the small bedroom above garage, as yet can't even get through door, never mind test a socket. Yes it was so 20 years ago when I first got a loop impedance meter, and to practice went around the house testing, I only tested the original fuse box, the second fuse box's RCD tripped every time I tried to test circuits, but to find out what reading I got, I would need to hunt the loft and find the old Amiga 1200 so all I can say it was OK 20 years ago.

Clearly must be two faults, but it is the finding out where the faults are, looked in garage to see if builder had left his trowel behind so I could look for burn marks, but only left string line and lump hammer.

Central heating OK, and kettle works, but no dish washer, but I'm aright jack, I have late mothers house to live in until her in draws makes our house accessible. And finds my meters, good excuse to buy new, but that's how the house got like it is, can't find it, so buy new, 6 sewing machines, why 6? Well it's that ones for embroidery, that one's a swing needle, that ones a overlocker, that one is strong and can sew leather, most were inherited, but 6. She points out how many meters I have, the question was are you sure, because I can't find them.

At some point I will need to find the problem, I will guess new cables garage to bedroom above it, she said your not lifting the carpets, of course not dear, I will take the ceiling down like your son did, it may destroy down stairs carpet though, I did not point out ceiling which would need to come down is in garage, so left her clearing up.

... 6 sewing machines, why 6? Well it's that ones for embroidery, that one's a swing needle, that ones a overlocker, that one is strong and can sew leather, most were inherited, but 6. She points out how many meters I have, the question was are you sure, because I can't find them.
Ah - sounds very familiar. We have 5 sewing machines, all but one of which was 'inherited' and none of which have been used for many years - but we apparently need to keep them all!

I look forward to hearing what you discover (about the wiring, not 'junk' :) ) when you are eventually able to investigate.

Kind Regards, John

This house sounds like one of those hoarders house you see on Channel 4.

Tell her to get real and sort it out.

My condolences too Eric. I often see you writing about your Mother’s house and this is the first time I’ve noticed you refer to it this way.

... and again.
Eric ... following BAS's initial post, several of us have been adding to the list of messages of sympathy, in relation to your mother, to whom you often refer in your posts.

However, it seems that as long ago as November 2015 you were sometimes referring to your "late mother", so I therefore wonder if there there might possibly have been some misunderstandings?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back