Lockable Outside Socket

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18243

I'm looking for an outside 13A socket in a lockable enclosure; also the enclosure must be vandal proof (so metal preferably).

There are plenty of outside sockets available online but I can't find a locking one. The only place I've seen such a thing is mounted on market stall frames, for the traders to plug their stuff into.

Where can I get one of these? Or will I have to buy an enclosure separately and fit a socket into it myself?

Thanks folks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The MK masterseal range that I have seen is made of grey polycarbonate or plastic, so locking it would only be a token gesture. A nail file would probably be enough to break it open.

I think I'd got for a lockable steel enclosure, which might be quite a bit bigger than the socket. Maybe something like a meter box. Although usually fitted with a budget lock you could probably put a camlock in it.

Wall-Safes.jpg

The MK masterseal range that I have seen is made of grey polycarbonate or plastic, so locking it would only be a token gesture. A nail file would probably be enough to break it open.
It's not lockable - it has a key switch.

Little Jimmy Vandal could smash it. or indeed try to defeat the switch with a nail file jammed into the innards, but he might regret it.

It's not lockable - it has a key switch.

Little Jimmy Vandal could smash it. or indeed try to defeat the switch with a nail file jammed into the innards, but he might regret it.

Or unscrew the front and stuff the neutral into the earth terminal.

Most people have been trying to avoid specifying that idea on this forum. Oh well.

If there is any chance of the external socket being vandalised then you need to considered the safety of those who may come into contact with the socket after it has been vandalised.

It needs to be protected by an RCD but not the RCD protecting the rest of the buildings electrics

A double pole switch INSIDE the building is necessary to ensure the socket can be fully isolated when damaged.

The flap on this is lockable, but being made of plastic I dint think it stands much chance against a direct attack, more to keep little ones out of it.

click

Dont go OTT. Something like the door and opening arrangement for a street lamp ought to be sufficient

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back