Locks on cars

He actually got it back from the police yesterday.

The car was found the day after it was stolen, hence why he needs his locks replaced

Sponsored Links
I'm confused, so you trying to say that you have the car back now?
Yes, his dad had his car returned by the police, undamaged, but the thieves still have the keys.
Hence the need to change the house and car locks.

Let me expand. My dad was Burgled while he slept. They seemed to have stole nothing but keys.

One being the Car key (s)

They smashed the patio windows.

He was alone upstairs my mum died in March

He's 85 years old. No more shìtty answers please. I just need advice.
Good on you for standing up to the resident comedians on here.

It's going to cost a lot to put new locks on the car plus a new ignition barrel with a new and different transponder code (the microchip in the key that 'talks' to the dashboard....sorry if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs here but there's a surprising amount of folk don't know what a transponder is). Sorry for your mum passing away. Your dad has really been through it what with the burglary.

Might be worth a little label on the garage door - "All car locks have been changed and Krooklock fitted" with today's date, otherwise the scrotes might decide to try again.

Have you told plod who you suspect of doing it?

Sorry to say but yes, I would change the transponder on your car :(

My old mother had a burglary while she was in the house, at 2am. They took her handbag from her bedroom while she was asleep. Got in either with a fanbelt or a bit of plastic.
It really messed her up. Plod asked if she wanted a "Victim statement" read out in court. She made the mistake of agreeing. That meant the local rag had free reign to publish her name and address and details about the burglary, aholes.
The scrotes were caught because they nicked her phone, which used to be my brother's. They put a new SIM in it but plod traced the IMEI number, and knocked on their door. 9 months inside for dozens of other cases to be taken into consideration.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Too late for Bod's old man, unfortunately - but this tale should be a reminder to hide your car keys at home. Leaving them sitting on a table is an open invitation to help themselves to your most expensive possesion.

Too late for Bod's old man, unfortunately - but this tale should be a reminder to hide your car keys at home. Leaving them sitting on a table is an open invitation to help themselves to your most expensive possesion.
A mate of mine has a Range Rover Autobiography. Twice, would be thieves have been disturbed by his Rhodesian Ridgeback trying his front door to get in and get the keys. It’s no good hiding them because if they are determined to get in, they'd think nothing of holding a knife to your throat to force you to into handing over the keys. Leave the keys where they can find them and hopefully they’ll just take the car and **** off.

A mate of mine has a Range Rover Autobiography. Twice, would be thieves have been disturbed by his Rhodesian Ridgeback trying his front door to get in and get the keys. It’s no good hiding them because if they are determined to get in, they'd think nothing of holding a knife to your throat to force you to into handing over the keys. Leave the keys where they can find them and hopefully they’ll just take the car and **** off.

There's a world of difference between RR Autobiography (professional thieves, stealing to order), and opportunist scrotes half-inching a Fiesta because the keys are in full view (unless it's an ST).

There's poss two types of situations where car keys would be taken by burglars. As you describe, where a very high value, desirable vehicle is the target and thieves will stop at nothing. Others where burglars break in to see what they want to nick and happen across keys to the family runaround and take it as the oportunity has arisen.

For myself, my situation falls into the second category. I can't imagine burglars holding a knife to my throat - demanding the keys to my 19 year old van or 37 year old Carlton. More likely they might pinch one during a burglarly because finding the keys would present them with that opportunity. So I hide the keys - as buglars are highly unlikely to be searching for them.

There's a world of difference between RR Autobiography (professional thieves, stealing to order), and opportunist scrotes half-inching a Fiesta because the keys are in full view (unless it's an ST).
True. You don't need a set of keys for an ST or an Autobiography either come to that as they are both keyless. The RR has a Ghost system fitted though so that’s why they are trying to gain access to the house.

When I was in Zimbabwe (where car theft was rife) I often used to see a Mini in our local shopping centre car park with a padlocked chain around both doors, visible & effective. One guy I knew had a new car, if it went for a service or he had to leave it somewhere unfamiliar he used to hire a security guard to watch it.

Last edited:
Brother's mate had a flashy Merc nicked, never saw it again despite having a tracker. FOr the next car he got a VHF tracker. Plod called him to say they had his car and had arrested a gang. He didn't even know the car had been towed away.
VHF works in underground car parks, containers, straight to plod. They don't give coordinates though.
It's normally as easy to find the gps ones as it is a phone, so not much good for steal-to-order-gang protection. VHF is harder.
If you're devious with a gps/phone signal one the chance of finding it can be very low.

...... he used to hire a security guard to watch it.

Reminds me of a situation some years ago; I'd gone to watch a film at a multiplex cinema.

A local civil contractor owner had parked his very smart Merc in the bay directly facing the main entrance steps.

I knew it was his, as he had his name as his registration number.

Dozens and dozens of people walking in and out of the cinema constantly, so his car should have been safe there, of all places?

When I left the place, I saw that it clearly wasn't:car jacked up, and all four wheels gone. "Bemused" security guards standing around.

Had someone bunged them a few quid to go on a tea break? Had someone just pulled up, looked official, and no one batted an eyelid? Insurance fiddle?

Nothing's safe though, if the crims really want it.

When I was in Zimbabwe (where car theft was rife) I often used to see a Mini in our local shopping centre car park with a padlocked chain around both doors, visible & effective. One guy I knew had a new car, if it went for a service or he had to leave it somewhere unfamiliar he used to hire a security guard to watch it.

Don't doubt it. The natives will have anything, even if it's nailed down. Many cars in Zim/SA have anti-hijack systems. Friend who works for the East Rand water company had to take a guard with her if she visited certain sites. She has had three hijack attempts. Last one was when she was on her own and she drove at the would be hijacker and caught him a glancing blow with the front corner of her car. Later heard from police the impact smashed his hip. That will learn him!

It's like the wild west out there. I imagine a similar situation in places like Hackney, Tower Hamlets, etc, etc.

Working freelance in Africa I borrowed a lump of dog for a while. I don't know what breed it was but it filled the back seat of the Land Cruiser. Lazy old thing, but it knew if it curled its lip and growled a bit, people would go away. It suited me fine, but I heard later that it had been clubbed by burglars in its owners' house. The woman of the house slept with a gun under the pillow after that.

Sponsored Links
Back