loft light

T

timmyquick

Hi all, i want to install a loft light. Can i do this since part P?

Can i take the feed from an existing ceiling rose? (floor of loft) . The strip light is to be placed on the very top of roof, where the 2 sides of roof meet. I don't want to use a ceiling rose but a strip light, so how is the switching done for this?. Can i take the feed to the switch, use a choc block for neutral and then take the cable back to strip light. Or can i do the switching inside the strip light using chock blocks?. As in the past i have always used the ceiling rose method. As thats whats in my, 16th edition wiring book, but seems a bit naff, for what i want to do now. Plus i would like it to meet current regs if possible.

Regards
Timmyquick

Sponsored Links
You can do the switch wiring anywhere. nowadays it is becoming the norm to loop-in at the switch, rather than the light, as it makes changing the light easier later on. As long as the switch breaks the live, you can loop in anywhere.

adding a light in a loft is not notifiable

what your really suposed to do, is hang light, dangle flex dangerously from light, set so it falls from loft as you open it and then plug it in. avoids part P (if you need to...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back