loft lihting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment i've got the loft lighting and a few sockets running off the shower circuit which is wrong apparently. just wondering if i could power it off the ring circuit for the upstairs lights?

Sponsored Links
It is wrong to spur off a shower circuit to supply sockets/lights, showers need almost all of the capacity of their circuit. Unless fused down correctly the sub circuits are a fire/shock risk.
Lighting is normally wired as a radial circuit, not a ring. It is not advisable to run sockets from a lighting circuit as this should be fused at 6-10A. Sockets are better run from a socket circuit. The lights should be OK to be run from the lighting circuit providing there is adequate spare capacity, how many watts of lighting it there already on the circuit and what size MCB? How many watts of lighting are you putting on it?
Do you know any electricians who can take a look?
I'm thinking it would be best to check the existing cables for damage by being connected to a supply which is too large for them. Apart from a visual, continuity and insulation resistance tests are required, IR testing requires a "Megger" which I doubt most DIYers will have in their toolbox.

currently connected is about 700w of lighting, that included 6x7w energy saving and 6x50w halogen etc

propose to attach 2x60w standard bulbs to the circuit which currently has a 15A fuse, not sure what wattate the outside light is.

should it be okay to just link in two extra lights?

Sponsored Links
i'm not sure what wires you think would be damaged by the excess of load?

the light switch is fued to 13A i'm not sure if that helps atall - just checked.

edit - i'm removing the shower cable which is 6mm and replacing it entirely with 10mm, and before i do that, i could do with some lighting in the loft :p

Domestic lighting isn't normally connected to 15A, do you know any electricians who can take a look?

ah! mis read it, its 10A, sorry about the confusion - does that sound more likely?

I told you in the last thread you made about this topic that you should wire the lights into the lighting circuit, and fit a 3A fused spur to run a socket for the TV booster.

okay, sorry, i was just a little unsure. didn't want to go ahed with it without knowing the full story and different circumstances require different solutions, i took your response as a suggestion to look more closely into the situation. sorry for any offence caused by following up your information.

thanks.

No offence taken, but what I suggested before is your only option unless you want to take a feed from the ring circuit for the loft sockets (a bit overkill for a TV booster that uses a few watts at most).

If you intend on feeding more than the TV booster from the sockets though, you need to extend the ring to the loft otherwise you'll be overloading the lighting circuit. Also if the rest of the lighting circuit is heavily loaded you may need a new circuit run for the loft, but at 10A it's unlikely this will be necessary.

But one thing is for sure, you can not use the shower circuit to feed anything by the shower.

thast why i was a little unsure about running sockets off the lighting ring.

from switching off the circuit brekers to work onthe circuit, i'm finding a whole range of appliances which use the lighting circuit. i have a plug which was mounted where the old boiler timer unit was, this now has a small fish tank with 100w heater, 35w lighting circuit and 7w pump attached to it, is this a problem?

i'm currently trying to work out how the hell i can rewire the shower. cause i was talking with my mum and she was saying that its okay for me, but when it comes time to sell people don't want to see a single wire/pipe in the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back