Loft Tank Overflow pipes into horizontal gutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've just had our soffits, facias and gutters replaced. Previously, the overflow/warning pipes for the central heating header tank and cold water tank for hot water in the loft came out of holes in the facia below the gutter. But for this installation, the installer decided it would look nicer if the pipes weren't sticking out ("don't want to ruin new facia by putting holes in") and, instead, cut them shorter and raised them slightly so now they drain into the gutter. They said that we would hear if there was any water overflowing and that the gutter isn't designed to deal with the amount of water that was expelled when overflowing so it would spill over, making us aware, so it wasn't an issue.

Now I've had time to think about it, I have some concerns and I would like to run them past other people to see what their opinions are and, if there are any regulations around the pipes, whether we are now breaking them. There may be other issues that I am not aware of.

Also, if this is an issue that I should be concerned about, does anyone have any views on what could be done to resolve it? The pipes have already been cut short. The soffits and facias are fully installed. The only think I can think of is to put an elbow on the end of the cut pipe that would take the water slightly up and over the outer edge of the gutter so it would land back on the patio. Or maybe to extend the pipe in a straight line through the outer wall of the gutter sealing around the hole that it passes through so the gutter isn't compromised, but the overflow sticks out.

Concerns:

* I'm not convinced we would be able to hear the "warning" drips that you come out of the overflow and into the gutter.
* If there was a full overflow issue, where the overflow was trying to expel as much water as possible (which we have had before - and the water came out fast), the water would shoot out of the pipe, hit the opposite side of the gutter and some would splash back at the house, maybe even being driven back through the ventilation strips or through the hole that was cut in the ventilation strip to allow the overflow pipe to pass through. I'm not sure where the water would go at that point? Into the loft? Cavity? I'm not sure how it's all put together and what might happen.

Many thanks for your opinions.

Sponsored Links
You are right a warning pipe should ideally discharge where it will cause a nuisance.
Usually it starts with dripping before it goes to a flood.
I had the same thing with a soffit fitter, luckily I spotted it before he cut the pipe and he had to fit a new bit of fascia .

gutters can get blocked, and your overflow pipe sitting in there could well be a place where obstructions can collect, and subsequently block the overflow pipe. get it redone so it expels below and is visible.

Snow, especially when it freezes hard, could build up in the gutter and block the pipe. Unlikely, but never rule out sod's law.

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't be too difficult to extend the pipes slightly over the gutter. That would be my personal preference to resolve the issue.

Is there an alternative place for the pipes exit - gable end wall perhaps ?

and raised them slightly so now they drain into the gutter
By how much did he slightly raise them ? Is the end or any part of the pipe above the level of the connection to the tank ? If it is then the overflow level in the tank will also have been raised.

Many thanks all. I hadn't considered blockages in the gutter and the snow / freezing was a good point. The pipes were raised by about 6 inches, I guess (from halfway down the soffit to the top of the soffit/gutter). There's still an overall drop and it's well below the overflow connection to the tank, so that's fine. The pipes *could* be redirected through a gable wall to the side, but that would be more work and we'd be less likely to see the leak at the side out the house rather than by the lounge windows.

@Hugh Jaleak To extend over the top of the gutter would require the extension to rise up slightly to pop over. I guess the issue there would be collecting debris or water settling in the trough and, in winter, freezing and blocking the pipe.

I don't know how easy it would be to remove/replace a section of facia now it's installed in order to extend the pipe then put through a new hole in the facia.

Given @footprints also had a fitter who wanted to do the same, I'm wondering how prevalent this is.

I'm in agreement with Dan. Their method is not acceptable for various reasons, you require them to return, replace that piece of fascia, and reroute the overflow(s) to discharge below the gutter line, or to an alternative position where any discharge can be seen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back