london olympics...? only so we can beat the french surely!

Sponsored Links
If this was the States or China, they'd fund it through advertising. I predict the Congestion Charge, Council tax, Identity Cards, Fuel tax, Road tax, etc. will fund ours.

BBC Sport on the successful bid said:
.....But it also fitted in with the idea of compact, non-wasteful Games, with several temporary venues to be relocated elsewhere in the UK. There would be no white elephants.

The bid made use of famous landmarks and sporting venues - for example, tennis at Wimbledon and beach volleyball along Horseguards Parade.

Cheap and nasty !! A few galvanised sheds on local Supermarket car parks.. Kennard on the door with an entry tax... Glastonbury mud £50 a shovel full ... Cliff Richard to sing at Bimbledon during rain breaks ... St Bob'll put the Afro teams up in his garden with a concert to keep 'em awake.... :D :D

Everybody knows athletes perform best with warm sunny conditions .. they'll all be swimming in 2012.

Money will be made ... It'll still cost us in the end, just another oppo to pluck the Golden Goose !!

:D :D :(

Sponsored Links
It's OK: judging by the results of the last GE, by 2012 we will have a Tory government and doing stuff properly is what they're good at. :p Seriously though, provided they put some impetus into getting the Olympics right it could be great. I would be surprised if it comes in at "just" £360M. Does this take into account the extras, things such as upgrading public transport? How much did they spend on the tube system for the Dome? Judging by how much the Dome cost, £360M sounds like someone hasn't done the maths!

I went to the Dome, and only moved away from London in 2002. I think the reason most Londoners gave it a miss was because they knew it was c**p. ;) I felt sorry for people who had travelled from the North, Scotland and so on to see it!!! :LOL:

Hopefully the contracts for all the work will stay in the UK and the jobs will remain with British citizens. There's a few thousand jobs for the next 7 years, won't solve all our unemployment problems but is certainly better than the dole (for the country and for individuals). And there are thousands of lazy, useless chavs that could be laid out to support the foundations (well, it worked with the M1 and East-end gangsters! ;) )

pipme said:
Everybody knows athletes perform best with warm sunny conditions .. they'll all be swimming in 2012.

Ours are always at a disadvantage when the Olympics are held in hot and sunny countries... at least this time round the other athletes will be trying to run in thermals and jumpers whilst ours are at optimum temperature!

its good news, and its got to be good news for the economy and the construction industry with all that money (and more) being pumped in.
good effort, ive always wanted to go to the olympics and i bloody well will now! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It's NOT good news at all. I for one groaned when I heard we'd got it. It means we've got to spend heaps of money before we can even imagine getting any back. The lads in the pub tonight said "lots of tourism", but until anyone dares to give a set figure on that I'm still sceptical. Of course, my scepticism may well be because I don't give a fig about sport, but in 2012 I'll be 7 years older - 32... If anything I'll be more sceptical then.....

I predict it will cost a hell of a lot more than the current misleading forecast. When EVER did a major capital project come in UNDER budget AND on time?

As for "lots of jobs", there will be a lot of lost businesses too, as they are ousted to make way for this farcical white elephant. "They can move to somewhere else.....", a statement made by idiots who have no understanding of small businesses. Most are run to make their owners a living, not as a stepping stone to generating an international empire.

Coe, Beckham,..........and lots of others now crowing about their "success", um....don't have a vested interest do they?

Politicians promise lots of benefits, aren't they always peddling that one? Do they always (or even ever) tell the truth.

Hang on whats this £360m? A figure on GM TV this morning was £10billion. How can they fund all the olympic building for £360m when Tony's Tent cost £750m.

This is going to be another millstone, and I for one did not support this stupid way of wasting huge amounts of money, pity it didn't go to Paris.

(I see for setting the font colour, they can't spell c-o-l-o-u-r!!!)

Thought of the day, when did the french win anything.

In Google type “french+military+victories” and hit the “I’m feeling lucky” button…

Heheheheh! :p :p

Olympics.jpg

Got the feeling that what M. Chirac said about our food was taken into account by the selection committee..........il est un grand branleur!

Even JC Novelli said that British food was having a rebirth - why did M Chirac think that shed-loads of french chefs wanted to work in the UK?

Boy was I wrong about the price. £360m would have been a comparative snip!

Fuller disclosure of the planned budget:
- £1.5bn to run the games
- £560m for new venues
- £650m for athletes village
- £200m on security

Non-olympic costs
- £800m spent by Government on redeveloping lower lea valley
- around £7bn on improving infrastructure - underground/ chunnel

Income
- 1.5bn from 'Special Olympic' Lottery
- £560 TV and marketing
- £450m sponsorship
- £300m ticket revenues
- £60 from licencing
- £250m from London development agency
- Up to £625m from council tax rise - £20 per year per London home

London 2012 believes they could end the games with a surplus of more than £100m

--

I was right about the council tax though.

Sponsored Links
Back