Loo in Understairs cupboard - do i need an extractor fan ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We are thinking of putting a downstairs loo in our understairs cupboard.

Its a semi with no outside wall near the stairs - hence no windows

Question is - do I need to put an extractor fan in ?

And if I do - can be 'low'level' ? i.e. extract from near the floor and go under the floorboards to the outside ?

Cheers

s

Sponsored Links
Yes, you need one or the other. As for whether low level is OK, I cant help. Cool idea though, if it is OK. And I THINK you need to tell BC anyway, so ask the BCO!

No natural opening so a fan is a requirement.

Fans work better at height due to air rising upward.

Why not build in to a stud wall at height and duct with flat ducting ?

FD55100.JPG
[/url]

Technically you dont need one.Only the quthorities tell you you need one but the toilet will function fine without one,lol.i always disconnect them when i move in cos i HATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE them.lol

Sponsored Links
Forming a new room with a loo in it is notifyable building work which must comply with a number of Building Regulations & the requirement for an extractor fan is just one; foul drainage & possible sound insulation of any stud walls are others.

Positioning the fan at low level is pointless & won’t provide any air circulation, the fan will just suck air directly through the gap under the door & into the duct; unlikely the BCO would accept it but without checking, I’m not actually sure of any dimensional requirements. Is there to be a hand wash basin in there?

What does the door of your new loo open into? (hallway, dining room etc)?

Whether theres a need to or not, consider the consequences of not installing one. Im sure you and your guests would not like to witness the smell of the last near-death-experience to take place in there.

Also, good point about the sound insulation, for much the same reason as the fan - the sounds of a splash down at ground zero might not be conducive to the dinner party you are hosting.

Thanks all - it opens into the hallway so there will be two heavy wooden doors between it and our dining guests !

We won't be building any stud walls as the space is there already (currently used as a storage cupboard)

Just need to check if its big enough for a WC and a sink - and to still get a person in !

re. the ducting. We could have a high-level extract then run it down through a cupboard and then under the floor - would be very long though- maybe 5m or so

i saw a toilet on tv last night that had the basin in the top (cistern position) and the waste water is used in the flushing of the toilet.

cool, i'm thinking about doing the same thing with my stairs, what are your dimensions? I'm still trying to figure out if I've got enough room. luckily I have room for a window so won't need a fan.

My downstairs loo is in a similar position. I have installed a shower type extractor fan that includes a light. The fan is located in the void between the ceiling and upstairs floor. A flexible duct then travels along the same void over the utility room to an outside wall. A small ceiling hatch in the utility room provides access the fan for repair/maintenance.

We won't be building any stud walls as the space is there already (currently used as a storage cupboard)
But if any of the existing walls between the new loo & another habitable room (lounge!) are studwork, they will require sound insulation to comply with BR’s.
re. the ducting. We could have a high-level extract then run it down through a cupboard and then under the floor - would be very long though- maybe 5m or so
Make sure you get a suitable fan; many budget units won’t extract properly over that duct length.

Don’t forget what I said, the provision of a room with a w/c in it is notifyable work! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back