Loose backbox plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any idea how I could get the backbox to stay level? The left side is hitting a piece of stud wall the problem is the right side keeps pushing back, so everytime we use the socket it's coming loose.

IMG-20200714-WA0012.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Was thinking I've some 6mm mdf, going to cut it to size maybe double it up and put it behind and hope It'll do the job

Sponsored Links
I've dealt with that sort of problem before. You should be able to get two or three screws into the noggin on the left.
On the right I put two pieces of wood behind the plasterboard they were covered in glue so stuck to the back of the plasterboard. The back of those pieces of wood was level with the front of the noggin. A third piece of wood behind them gave me something to screw into. It is easier to do than describe.

I've dealt with that sort of problem before. You should be able to get two or three screws into the noggin on the left.
On the right I put two pieces of wood behind the plasterboard they were covered in glue so stuck to the back of the plasterboard. The back of those pieces of wood was level with the front of the noggin. A third piece of wood behind them gave me something to screw into. It is easier to do than describe.

Yeah you've lost me lol I can get 2 screws into the left side

So I put 2 bits of wood behind the plaster and glue them to the wall how do you get the 3rd piece behind?

No Nails a scrap of timber to the back of the right side plasterboard, then fit the box with 1 or 2 screws through the right end face , theres usually 1 predrilled hole anyway, but usually best to drill your own

I've only got clear gorilla glue and some industrial strength super glue at home

If you are ok with a bit of finish damage next to the socket another option would be to use screws to fix the wood in place.

If you are ok with a bit of finish damage next to the socket another option would be to use screws to fix the wood in place.
Yeah I did think of doing that but that'll prob be a last resort means more filling, sanding & painting

Get a dry liner box like this
0F36DCAF-45BA-4EEF-936B-764AEF194E7A.jpeg

the clip on the right will hold that side. The left hand side can be screwed through the box onto the wooden stud. You may need to trim the plastic wing on the left and a bit of the stud

If you have a metal box, buy a PLASTERBOARD FLANGE to fix the right hand side (they are made to solve this problem!)
758F159A-3F60-44F0-8ECC-1C568A84C295.jpeg

Get them in lots of places, like this
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP603.html

simples!

You should be able to get at least 3 screws into the noggin , two near the middle and one at the end , you can drill another hole if you need to.

The only way that would come loose is if you used nails instead of screws , as that noggin covers at least half the back box that would sort the problem , certainly does when I do it

You should be able to get at least 3 screws into the noggin , two near the middle and one at the end , you can drill another hole if you need to.

The only way that would come loose is if you used nails instead of screws , as that noggin covers at least half the back box that would sort the problem , certainly does when I do it
It misses the middle part of the box, I can get 2 screws in on the left & that's it.

Get a dry liner box like this
View attachment 199027 PLASTERBOARD FLANGE to fix the right hand side (they are made to solve this problem!)

Get them in lots of places, like this
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP603.html
The flanges look good but there hard to source only found them on 2 sites

The flanges look good but there hard to source only found them on 2 sites
Try a local electrical wholesaler, but I see you are in Leicester, so maybe not so easy …?

Looks like you’ll need to bodge it as in the above suggestions, but I suggest you don’t do this
The right hand side will pull away from the wall over time (as plugs are pulled in and out). So that end needs securely fixing.

As a make do bodge. Get a piece of wood and glue it on the back of the plasterboard on the right hand side. The edge of the wood bring flush with the right hand edge of the hole. When the glue has set (!) drill a couple of holes in the RHS of the box and fix that side by screwing into your new bit of wood.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back