LOST MAIN EARTH TO PROPERTY

when the mice get at the rubber insulation, you can have a nice new length of split concentric to the meter.

Sponsored Links
SP did suggest getting a spark in anyway to make a further assessment, but were essentially satisfied that a good earth was provided. If the VIR tails are SP's property would a spark not replace them, or would that have to be SP's job?

Thanks for the advice re 16mm G+Y. God knows how that might run from Service Head to CU. Presume there is inadequate space within that old conduit, and would that be poor form anyway? Is it technically possible to to push cable thru 5-10m of conduit? Any bets? I would be keen to avoid opening up walls if possible?

you won't be able to push it up the conduit. Cable are usually pulled in with a thin flexible wire, and it much easier to pull them all in together than to pull in an extra one later. However, if you can lift an occasional floorboard or get access at intervals, you should be able to pull it along the same route.

You can get electricians' fishing rods which are flexible yet stiffish and thin. I don't know if you can hire them. But if you have access at intervals of a few metres you should be able to see it anyway.

16mm is fairly stiff anyway.

I really would not try to add new cable to that conduit. The risk of damage to those existing VIR tails is far too great.

Sponsored Links
I really would not try to add new cable to that conduit. The risk of damage to those existing VIR tails is far too great.

• I will be commissioning an "expert", just hope better than the last "expert". To avoid damage would the 16mm G+Y be best running through its own conduit, and I presume this should be as short a distance as possible?

The existing conduit disappears behind a thick supporting wall into dead space walled in by my downstairs neghbours pantry! They are going to be so pleased to hear the news! I can already hear the sound of drilling through the ceiling into the pantry below. Presumably a pantry is more attractive to mice.

you don't have to put it in a conduit. It is a large size so not easily damaged by accident.

If you want to enclose it (e.g. because you can poke conduit under floors) you can get plastic oval conduit which is very cheap. It can also be easily painted to blend in. You can fasten it to walls with large flat cable clips.

If you use the cable bare, you can use quite a small, round cable clip. Please don't paint the cable, leave it G&Y.

p.s. although it would be nice to run the G&E next to the conduit, I can't see that you're obliged to. Remembering that (with luck) your rubber tails will, in time, be replaced, you might be able to identify a more straightforward route. You should not run cables in voids or cavity walls. It is preferable to have them in a position where people can see them (especially supply tails which are fused very high and give spectacular results if nailed or drilled)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back