LOST MAIN EARTH TO PROPERTY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have discovered whilst getting work done on Combi boiler that house has lost earth. Recently had replacement mains water and gas pipework in road outside house although pipework entering house is presumed to be original metal. Assuming these are bonded back to CU where they enter property, what would be the next step? Do I require earthing rod? Is this my responsibility or that of electricity supplier?

Sponsored Links
What type of earthing system do you have? Post a picture of your electricity meter and incoming cable area and we'll tell you.

Basically if the electric board has already supplied you with an earth they should maintain it.
If they have not supplied you with an earth and they will not supply you with an earth (worth asking anyway) then the only other way is to get an earth electrode installed and your consumer unit checked by a competent person to check it is suitable.

Have discovered whilst getting work done on Combi boiler that house has lost earth. Recently had replacement mains water and gas pipework in road outside house although pipework entering house is presumed to be original metal. Assuming these are bonded back to CU where they enter property, what would be the next step? Do I require earthing rod? Is this my responsibility or that of electricity supplier?
m_223bca38

http://a307.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/81/m_a37ea7ea

Sponsored Links
can't see your pictures

The webpage cannot be found

jwphillips";p="701033 said:
reloc.cfm

You seem to be having difficulty posting your pictures.

Click on my signature to find out how to do it.

Yikes :eek: :eek: :eek:

You need to ring Scottish power ASAP and report a dangerous installation.

24 hour Helpline on 0845 27 27 999.

Tell them you have an old VIR in steel conduit supply, and their earth terminal has failed.

Yikes :eek: :eek: :eek:

You need to ring Scottish power ASAP and report a dangerous installation.

24 hour Helpline on 0845 27 27 999.

Tell them you have an old VIR in steel conduit supply, and their earth terminal has failed.

Thanks. They have arranged for electrician to inspect tomorrow morning. This saga starts with gas engineer advising that earth loop test had failed at greater than 200ohms. Following discussion we arranged for electrician from reputable and large company to make assessment. Electrician advised that assessment was satisfactory, but discovered that earth clamp as gas inlet was disconnected. Loop impedance was 0.60 ohms at FCU next to boiler. He stated that earth continuity was 200Mohms which seems extremely high. Gas engineer returns and advises earth loop test still failing under covers of boiler and also tests several sockets on different rings which all failed. Terrible state of affairs. It seems we have received poor electrical advice.

Would I be right in thinking this is a TN-S supply then with the steel conduit providing the earth? This is then the DNO's responsibility if the earthing arrangements aren't satisfactory?

Where does the steel conduit go? Is there no main fuse??? :eek:

The steel conduit runs down behind a wall to enter a very old metal box sited on a wall. A further metal pipe disappears below into the wall and thence into the ground. The box appears circa 1950-60 with SSWEB written on it.

Picture? Does it say "LUCY" on it? I like old electrical things! They look so dangerous! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back