LOST MAIN EARTH TO PROPERTY

Yeah, definitely, and you dont have an earth at all, only from the water and gas mains. Someone has used the conduit as earth, but it isn't earthed at the other end. Why didnt they check :confused:

And you might have a fused neutral too. Very dangerous.

Sponsored Links
It looks like it is an old cast iron service head, which could have a fused neutral in it which is dangerous, plus the old VIR Tails from the service head to the meter.

It looks like your main earth to the house was using the gas & water pipe for connection, & where they have changed the pipes in the road to plastic, you have lost the earth connection.

It looks like it is an old cast iron service head, which could have a fused neutral in it which is dangerous, plus the old VIR Tails from the service head to the meter.

It looks like your main earth to the house was using the gas & water pipe for connection, & where they have changed the pipes in the road to plastic, you have lost the earth connection.

What would be the solution? Does DNO have responsibility for this?

DNO will no doubt fit a new service heat and meter downstairs.......And leave you fit tails or a submain back up to your CU......make sure you get a decent spark (this time) to fit this bit.

How long is the run from downstairs to upstairs?

Sponsored Links
DNO will no doubt fit a new service heat and meter downstairs.......And leave you fit tails or a submain back up to your CU......make sure you get a decent spark (this time) to fit this bit.

How long is the run from downstairs to upstairs?

Distance from service head to present meter and CU is approx 10m, but complicated as it traverses dead space walled in when property was converted into upstairs and downstairs.

Yikes :eek: :eek: :eek:

You need to ring Scottish power ASAP and report a dangerous installation.

24 hour Helpline on 0845 27 27 999.

Tell them you have an old VIR in steel conduit supply, and their earth terminal has failed.

I had a similar this week. Arrived at a property to change a consumer unit, disconnected outgoing supply and equipotential bonds and found there was no main earthing (TN-S). Supply was a rubber T&E, looked around 10mm with an integrated earthing conductor which looked to be around 4mm. There was no earth path at all down the 4mm earthing conductor.
I called the local DNO who told me they would attend within 2 weeks and not to worry about it as we would have parallel earth paths through gas and water :eek:

I ended up knocking in a couple of earth rods and converting to TT until United Utilities decide to do something about it.

Does that look like an earth clamp at the top of the paper/cloth sheathed incoming supply in the last pic?

Might it be worth trying to see if there is a reading off this? If so, as a short term it might be possible to link from there to the conduit to give some measure of protection.

Sounds like a nightmare job! You'll probably be asked to replace the tails with SWA as all this is before the meter (EDF tell me this is for 'security')

Yes, I would expect the cast iron incommer to be earthed, and there is a tax you could easily nut and bolt to....

Whack some 10milli from a lug there to a 951 clamp on the conduit as a temp measure....

I had a similar this week. Arrived at a property to change a consumer unit, disconnected outgoing supply and equipotential bonds and found there was no main earthing (TN-S). Supply was a rubber T&E, looked around 10mm with an integrated earthing conductor which looked to be around 4mm. There was no earth path at all down the 4mm earthing conductor.
I called the local DNO who told me they would attend within 2 weeks and not to worry about it as we would have parallel earth paths through gas and water :eek:

Well they did better than YEDL then :LOL: :LOL:

I was told 6 weeks for one of their guys to attend a failed earth supply as there was a parallel path of about 4ohms off the gas pipework :evil:

Scottish Power out today. Fortunately they agreed that it was their responsibility to maintain the earthing arrangements. Extremely poor earth at incoming point to service head. Has replaced service head and fitted new earth cable as old meccano had lost contact. Mains earth restored. Advised VIR tails in very good condition given age. We are intent on replacing CU, but should we have VIR tails replaced?

I would think you should get the tails replaced, but as they are SP's property, and they say they are in good condition, there is not much chance of getting this done (without having to fork out for it).

Can we have a photo of the new cutout? We love a happy ending on DIYnot.com :)

I would think you should get the tails replaced, but as they are SP's property, and they say they are in good condition, there is not much chance of getting this done (without having to fork out for it).

Can we have a photo of the new cutout? We love a happy ending on DIYnot.com :)

As requested. I hope this meets with approval.
IMG_1787.jpg

better, but, if it was me, i wouldn't rely on that bit of conduit, I'd supplement it with a 16mm G&Y going to the position of the CU, and put an earth block there , connected both to the conduit and to my 16mm, and bond from that to the main services as well as into the CU.

Who was it who mentioned whacking an EC14 on the pipe as a temp measure??!! ;)

Yeah. Don' rely on that pipe. Take a 16mm² from that earth block direct to your MET upstairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back