Low Energy security lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone tell me if you can get a low energy security light for outdoors? I have a standard 500w that needs replacing, ive seen low energy sucurity lights advertised but do these kick out enough light to have an inpact like my 500w would?

Keith

Sponsored Links
There are LED ones but not been impressed with them yet.
Same here. CEF gave us a couple a while back.
We gave them back. neither use nor ornament..it more potential.

That said, CPC have a couple in their latest mailshot that may, just may, have a b

Sponsored Links
Hi, can anyone tell me if you can get a low energy security light for outdoors? I have a standard 500w that needs replacing, ive seen low energy sucurity lights advertised but do these kick out enough light to have an inpact like my 500w would?

You would probably be better looking at 70W Sodium or Metal Halide lamps than CFLs or LEDs.

Homebase reviews not good :cry:

Because idiots fitted them.

What was one ? It leaked................fit the gasket then.
Another, its masking is difficult................use your brain then.

I will actually fit this now as an addition to other security items.
As an addition, not say I want money to install DiY equipment. I would trust this item more than a Yale alarm TBH

I must admit I have just bought 2 x pir security lights and just read the reviews afterward which was quite poor and there was a sparky quoted how difficult to connect all the wires and yet I found it was the easiest to do!!!

As you says it's common sense and understanding the problem

A neighbour of mine fitted an LED security light a couple of months ago.

My comments:

1) The light given off is bright but does not give anthing like the coverage that his previous spotlight gave (I reckon he will need three LED lights to cover the same area).

2) It is very prone to light up when its windy.

1, thats the problem
2, Bad fitting - Location

Re fitting, it was fitted in exactly the same place as the original spotlight, which didn't have the same problem, so it is not as if there is a heat source nearby that could cause the problem.

I doubt it is the sensitivity of the PIR because aren't they suppose to detect temperature changes rather than movement?

A neighbour of mine fitted an LED security light a couple of months ago.

My comments:

1) The light given off is bright but does not give anthing like the coverage that his previous spotlight gave (I reckon he will need three LED lights to cover the same area).

2) It is very prone to light up when its windy.

However, just as with indoor lighting you will get better illumination by placing several lower output light fittings around the area instead of one bright mofo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back