Low level outside gas pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Inspite of the abuse I'll no doubt attract from several regulars on here who seem intent on rubbishing all I post, I'm back with another plumbing/gas query.

During recent renovation work an external gas pipe was ripped out to allow for roof lowering, rendering etc. They also damaged the low level bit which now also needs replacing. Not had chance to talk to the plumber yet but one of the builders mentioned that he "thinks" replacement at the existing level may not be allowable. It is only 1" clear of the drive where the damage has happened, crushed by a roof tile. It passes under a set of french window hence the height. Have new regs outlawed this :?:

Sponsored Links
ask the installer it's his responsibility :D

Let me have a serious conversation with you KevP if you will allow?

You can accept what I've said in this post and the others as genuine or otherwise.

However, everything I have posted is perfectly true and honest.

However there is a real issue developing with this project, I am simply trying to avail myself with all the correct info from experienced folks on here to avoid my daughter getting ripped off. so;

I approached the builder today, (the plumber didn't arrive as promised). He is adamant that the gas pipe is big enough, says he has had 2 independant plumbers that agree, even said that gas pipe 22mm will supply up to 45kw, he said he has paperwork to prove it. Yes I know, I find it unbelievable too.

So we have a situ where I believe the builder is leading the plumber, almost putting weight on him to save a few quid.

Inline with what you and others have said I intend to confront the plumber tomorrow when he's back on site and ask for his calculations and about the external pipe. I accept that it is he not the builder that has to put his name on the ticket. I simply want to have my facts correct when this "confrontation" occours. Yes I will get his full details, his reg number etc and make him fully aware of all the facts, (which is were all this started to go wrong).

Again this leads back to the issue of the low level pipe and the need to have my facts straight. If you can help with that then great, if not then why bother replying.

Also to add I will not allow a situation whereby the builder rips out a 28mm supply pipe and replaces it in 22mm after increasing the house size by 25%, so that will be sorted one way or the other.

Regardless of any further negative or positive replies, forum etiquette dictates I will report the outcome as I owe it to genuine advisors, ;)
Cheers

Sponsored Links
i thought the problem was about the pipe being low down, now it's about the pipe being big enough. :confused:

Seco, you are correct, but, you need to do a check of my history. All my posts get hilacked by a couple of guys on here trying to proove me an illegal gas installer or something. They keep cross referencing to everything I've said before hence my still trying to get answers to genuine posts that keep getting bogged down.

This post is as posted ie, level.

I have a very practical and inquizative nature, if I don't know something I ask and eventually find out, ;)

The black art members on here appear to have a problem with that, I just thought they were here to help :?:

Speak to your installer,the best way to have relatonship with your gas man is actually communicating with him

the information available in a public forum may or may not be correct and there are variables to your question

Personally i like to have a gas pipe up as high as possible to stop any kids pulling it off or someone knocking into it accidently.

In an ideal situation the pipe should be buried in trench

The idea of hiring the services of registered gas installer is to provide you with all the answers to your numerous questions ,its not black art and if you are employing him then you have every right

sometimes one meets obnoxious customers and if you are working for builder ,you would tell them to go and speak to their builder nothing to do with them because they are not employing your services ,especially those who question every small thing you do without underpinning knowledge and may have heard rumours or read something on the internet

I hope you manage to sort out the issues you have with your builder

I hope you manage to sort out the issues you have with your builder

Thank you "hp". That is exactly what I am trying to do.

Under pinning knowledge is exactly what I am trying to gain. All I want to do is to work with these people in an informed, but customer based perspective/way,

Thanks again ;)

Edited to add; I was thinking that if the low level pipe was unacceptable it would be beter burried below the block paving ?

there are no restrictions on the height a gas pipe can/must be fitted to an external wall, there are installation requirements that have to be complied with ie type and spacing for clips, but nothing on the height, however like everything else after the event someone will always say " i wouldn't have fitted there/like that" it is unrealistic to protect it from every scenario although care should be taken with design of install, but if the gas pipe was damaged by the builders removing roof tiles then i would suggest the builder should have taken reasonable steps to protect the pipe, (would you rip wall tiles off without a dust sheet in the bath)

...Not had chance to talk to the plumber yet...
I am absolutely gobsmacked about the amount of houses you and your family have with gasproblems, and even more so about the fact that your plumbers all seem to be on holiday, retired, emigrated or dead. You must be the unluckiest bloke on the planet.

Either that, or you are a cowboy trying to get advice from us on how to do your illegal work.
My money is on the latter.

Don't get me going kirk ;)

My whole issue here is with the builders and their lack of care and consideration.

They could have saved the whole issue had they taken a little more care and not damaged the existing stuff.

If the plumber will put good the builders damage to an acceptable standard then we will be well happy, thanks again meanwhile to address to usual suspects..............

...Not had chance to talk to the plumber yet...
I am absolutely gobsmacked about the amount of houses you and your family have with gasproblems, and even more so about the fact that your plumbers all seem to be on holiday, retired, emigrated or dead.

You must be the unluckiest bloke on the planet.

Either that, or you are a cowboy trying to get advice from us on how to do your illegal work.
My money is on the latter.

Right you plonker, been waiting for you, others will now understand. Lets address this in detail shall we?

I have a house, never posted about any problems as I don't have any, OK?
My elderly mother has a house, she has an issue that I asked about on here. Got significant abuse from you for God knows what reason, problem was resolved when the boiler was used on a regular basis as was suspected, OK again?

My daughter is in the midst of a total rebuild of a 1940's house, already explained the plumbing and heating has become a major issue,again as I explained to you in detail.

My other daughter has her own modern house, we had the boiler changed early this year as it was in an undesireable position for the reuse of the house, OK yet again????

So I think that makes two separate issues posted over the last couple of months? You in agreement?

Lets go again;
and even more so about the fact that your plumbers all seem to be on holiday, retired, emigrated or dead.
You must be the unluckiest bloke on the planet.

The bloke I 1st mentioned is now deceased, made that clear.

I am retired. supose you have a problem with that?

Emigration, in your mind only

Who mentioned holidays, apart from your brain seems to be on one[/color]

No not a cowboy just a "punter" that won't allow himself or his family to be shafted by the lower foodchain end plumbers about, and no disrespect to the proper blokes

...No not a cowboy just a "punter" that won't allow himself or his family to be shafted by the lower foodchain end plumbers about, and no disrespect to the proper blokes[/color]
You mean: just a punter that is,by your own admission, happy to get illegal installs done.

...No not a cowboy just a "punter" that won't allow himself or his family to be shafted by the lower foodchain end plumbers about, and no disrespect to the proper blokes[/color]
You mean: just a punter that is,by your own admission, happy to get illegal installs done.

Expain that then gman, do I appear happy?

Where did the illegal thing come in?

I was asking if it was illegal

Post sense or don't :rolleyes:

You are making a fool of yourself while I am simply asking advice. If you can't help, dont post??

Did you not boast about the wonderful 200 quid, non compliant boiler you had arranged?

Said boiler most likely not accompanied by correctly filled out benchmark, and the "installer" conveniently not available for comment?

Expain that then gman, do I appear happy?

Did you not boast about the wonderful 200 quid, non compliant boiler you had arranged? Said boiler most likely not accompanied by correctly filled out benchmark, and the "installer" conveniently not available for comment?

Boast? your definition. I supose you wouldn't get out of the sack for £200, eh

The guy that worked for me died, got a problem with that?
I'll talk to his widow on your behalf if you insist, I see her most weeks

The guy that 1st offered advise will now see what i was talking about, a couple of total ******s, sorry can't be more polite, they don't deserve anything better :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back