Low voltage help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have open planned my kitchen and lounge, the kitchen it not that large..maybe 11ft long 7ft wide, I have fitted 4x 50w osram bulbs running through a 210va transformer...its just not bright enough!

we though for this small area it would be fine, it looks so dingy...and dark...I even though the dimmer was faulty...its so dark....and Ive tried another transformer.....

is this because it is open plan? I wanted to divide the rooms lighting up even though it is open, so I could just have the kitchen on and work ok.

Has anyone come across this with open plan before? are some bulbs brighter than other of the same wattage? 200w for a small area sound ok...........but is dim....

any idear?

Darren

Sponsored Links
I have a dining room similar in size which has 8 lv downlights and thats not overly bright. Depends on how bright you want it.

dichroic all have slight differences but also depends on the beam angle (narrow or flood)

Kitchen needs to be bright, it must be not having 4 walls, really...I though it would be brighter...... a lot of the Osram say cool beam on them I have noticed, and it says 30 degree angle....

anyone any views

D

darren7 said:
I have open planned my kitchen and lounge

I take it you never cook then? I can imagine few things worse than a greasy, smelly living room.

Spotlights are useless in a kitchen unless you have lots of them. In addition you need task lighting for the worktops - slimline fluorescent 'link-lights' are ideal.

But still, open plan? Ugh.

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like you simply need more downlighters. I recently installed NINE in a kitchen of a similar size. This was not blindingly (sp?) bright, but a good level of light for working. Under unit lighting is also a good idea to brighten the place up.

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back