Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our LPG consumption has increased by approx 900 litres each year over last two years even though we have been turning off heating, fitted smart tvr’s to radiators, have 2 lesson people taking showers. Called out engineer who said it was leaking at rate of 10 millibars per second and had obviously been leaking for a long time because lots of staining immediately noticeable around pipe (sometimes there has been a smell but a previous engineer said it was a new tank and the funny smell we sometimes get by the tank was an environmental one). Engineer fixed it all but The supplier now say this staining would have occurred very quickly and there would have been very limited lost gas. Is the engineer correct or are the supplier trying to avoid compensation? Any thoughts very much appreciated!

Attachments

• 469A9C0D-EFFA-43D7-A2CE-0270F835E7AA.jpeg
    469A9C0D-EFFA-43D7-A2CE-0270F835E7AA.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Attached the image of where the problem was

Attachments

• 9A038C63-32C5-4001-9D57-D349AA02CBDC.jpeg
    9A038C63-32C5-4001-9D57-D349AA02CBDC.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 287
Surely if it is reducing by 10 millibars per second it wouldn't last long?
It wasn’t - We had nearly 3000 litres delivered between November and February. I don’t know if that’s a lot but it was a lot to us

Can you take a few pictures from further back so the position of the defective joint can be seen relative to the tank and regulator.

Can you take a few pictures from further back so the position of the defective joint can be seen relative to the tank and regulator.

Hope this helps, I can go further back if needed.

Attachments

• 371466AC-BEEA-4523-9AD9-41892C27E820.jpeg
    371466AC-BEEA-4523-9AD9-41892C27E820.jpeg
    400.3 KB · Views: 269
Thanks for providing the extra image.

I assume the bulk tank belongs to the gas supplier and the regulator which is under the hinged cover is your responsibility as is the downstream pipework.

If ever you think you can smell gas in the tank area seek advice.

Putting soapy water around suspect connections can help identify a leak.

I think the 10mb figure relates to the total drop over the time of the test period.

Where you present when the joint was repaired/tightened up?

My I assume the last gas bloke stopped the leak.

Thanks for providing the extra image.

I assume the bulk tank belongs to the gas supplier and the regulator which is under the hinged cover is your responsibility as is the downstream pipework.

If ever you think you can smell gas in the tank area seek advice.

Putting soapy water around suspect connections can help identify a leak.

I think the 10mb figure relates to the total drop over the time of the test period.

Where you present when the joint was repaired/tightened up?

My I assume the last gas bloke stopped the leak.
We were at home when the engineer came and did the test and fixed the issue - he tightened the joint with pliers. I had already called them out becasue we smelt a gassy smell around the tank but the first engineer looked and said it was a new tank and the smell was in the environment. The smell continued but I didn’t call them again because he had indicated it wasn’t related. The supplier are suggesting they will credit us £21.00 but the increase in gas consumption indicates to me that it has been leaking for some time which is what the engineer who fixed the leak told us. Before I take any further action (don’t know what that will be though) I just wanted some other opinions

I am wondering what caused the joint to leak. Has the regulator been changed recently or has the joint been undisturbed for a number of years.

If it were mine I would keep an eye on it.

Leak detector fluid or just soapy water will enable you to check it regularly and give you peace of mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back