M25 Eco Protests

Sponsored Links
WAter conservation

Save water get a 6 litre flush toilet

Said the pencil pushers and paper shufflers :ROFLMAO:

The demise of the non leaking WC syphon replaced with the dump valve

some thing like 12 Olympic size swimming pools of water are wasted per day ( ?) from leaking dump valves :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

perhaps a yearly service on yer Toilets will be the future :ROFLMAO:

WAter conservation

Save water get a 6 litre flush toilet

Said the pencil pushers and paper shufflers :ROFLMAO:

The demise of the non leaking WC syphon replaced with the dump valve

some thing like 12 Olympic size swimming pools of water are wasted per day ( ?) from leaking dump valves :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

perhaps a yearly service on yer Toilets will be the future :ROFLMAO:
Not a big issue in the context of this discussion, but quite correct in what you say. I'll only have syphon toilets in our house.

Perhaps the activists of Insulate Britain should considered being polite door to door canvassers knocking on doors and informing residents about the need to reduce energy consumption. Not much publicity in that approach but more likely to be effective in raising pressure on the government.
May be go door to door on a cold winters day and beat anyone up not wearing a warm jumper - that would get attention.

Sponsored Links
https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/advice/solid-wall-insulation/

https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/top-tips-to-reduce-your-carbon-emissions/

Start there. This stuff has been studied to death. There's loads of information on which measures will make the most difference and cost the least.

But the idea we should only worry about the biggest source of emissions is flawed. We need to reduce all sources of emissions. More effort on the biggest sources but some effort for all of them.
That's not THE list, it's just your list ;)
It "sounds like a good idea" but needs analysis.
"Domestic" accounts for 18% of UK CO2 production. That's oversimplifyng a bit but you'll see the point.
https://www.ice.org.uk/ICEDevelopmentWebPortal/media/News/Blogs/uk-co2-emissions.jpg

From your link, payback period of solid wall insulation is in tens of years, maybe 30. I haven't run all the numbers but I'm sure that's beatable, in cash or carbon.
EG buy a woolly.
I did do the sums once for topping up my loft insulation to the current standard, it was 80W saved at 0°C outside temp. No way I'm doing that - it would disable the loft as storage.

People gluing themselves to the road, costing god knows how much, because some bloke wants his house insulated is just ** people being **s!

We do not need to reduce all sources of emission. How about everyone driving round with no more than 1/4 tank of gas to save energy?
Not enough? OK how about drinking cold tea, or getting rid of your cat or dog?

What we need to do is apply a bit of knowledge and intelligence, not rant and rave.

But what we don't want is dodgy government backed schemes run by old school pals that are charging the tax payer 10 times more than it costs a local builder to install some insulation and make good to the same level. But that will likely be the outcome - the government will declare they listened and acted, and everybody will think they did a great job, and they will be laughing all the way to the bank, again.

just had my rental properties done under the Green Homes dodgy Grant scheme. Wasn't going to bother because of the need to use a TrustMark company. Found a small local company to do the work, the speed of HMG payments sent them to the wall before they could do my properties. Replacement company doesn't use English people so the training/job creation part of the scheme is a failure. Not saying a thing how much stress I went through to get the grant - never again, ever. At least it wasn't means tested - something I'd expect from the other side of the 'house'.

People gluing themselves to the road, costing god knows how much, because some bloke wants his house insulated is just ** people being **s!

We do not need to reduce all sources of emission. How about everyone driving round with no more than 1/4 tank of gas to save energy?
Not enough? OK how about drinking cold tea, or getting rid of your cat or dog?

What we need to do is apply a bit of knowledge and intelligence, not rant and rave.

Domestic heating accounts a large proportion of all British gas usage (about 1/3 I think, can't remember).

All insulate Britain are campaigning for is for social / council housing etc to be insulated. This will not only reduce carbon emissions, but it will also mean millions of people will no longer have to suffer mouldy and damp homes.

Research released released by Rentokil Property Care has found that 5.8 million British renters have experienced damp and condensation issues, as well as black spots on the walls of their homes.
https://www.rentokil.co.uk/news/201...~:text=20 March 2019,the walls of their homes.​

Nearly two million Londoners 'living in mouldy, damp or cold homes', says report
https://www.itv.com/news/london/202...ving-in-mouldy-damp-or-cold-homes-says-report
If you own your own home you can insulated it and save bills and live in a healthier house (I speak from experience as most know too well!)
But if you rent, or are in council housing, social housing etc. that is not an option. I have friends in mouldy houses, there is nothing good they can do other than try those thick insulated wallpapers, which are crap. Landlords and councils need to take action.

That's not THE list, it's just your list ;)
It "sounds like a good idea" but needs analysis.
"Domestic" accounts for 18% of UK CO2 production. That's oversimplifyng a bit but you'll see the point.
https://www.ice.org.uk/ICEDevelopmentWebPortal/media/News/Blogs/uk-co2-emissions.jpg
A bit more detailed:
Emissions-by-sector-%E2%80%93-pie-charts.png

All insulate Britain are campaigning for is for social / council housing etc to be insulated. This will not only reduce carbon emissions, but it will also mean millions of people will no longer have to suffer mouldy and damp homes.

But if you rent, or are in council housing, social housing etc. that is not an option. I have friends in mouldy houses, there is nothing good they can do other than try those thick insulated wallpapers, which are crap. Landlords and councils need to take action.

First BIB, only if it's done right. Throwing in insulation isn't a cure-all for mould and damp.

Second BIB. I rent out a flat. For first x years, no issues whatsoever with damp. New tenant moved in, complained of damp in bathroom and kitchen. Long story short, they weren't venting the place correctly. They moved out, x years later no issues with damp. Ok not in all cases, but people often complain of mould and damp that is being caused by them. This gets reported as landlords not maintaining the property correctly when often it's outwith their control.

A bit more detailed:
Emissions-by-sector-%E2%80%93-pie-charts.png

Now draw a sector in there to show what the savings might be for say

loft insulation (I'm guessing many already have it)
Double glazing, ditto
Cavity wall insulation ( I have solid walls,,...)
Exterior wall insulation (possibly not practical? )
Underfloor (difficult but possible in some cases

And a cost and CO2 benefit analysis for each , please. Has anyone seen referenced figures??
Then compare with other possibilities.

Interior insulation does sometimes lead to condensation within walls, where air leaking past the insulation meets the cold wall.

So starting 10.9%
What percentage is caaancil?
17% in 2010 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_housing_in_the_United_Kingdom

So we have 1.8%
How much of that can we save? I thnk 20% would be optimistic,
that's 0.36%.
There's Rail on the chart ot 0.4%, for comparison.

Maybe I'd campaign to stop crop burning (3.5%)
and hit Fugitive Emissions (5.8%)
and fine people for not wearing a woolly in the winter
first.

One would need to add back the pollution from production of materials though, + risks from CFC's or whatever, too.

OK that's a WORLD chart, ours is probably more compelling for houses, and
insulation is unquestionably a GOOD THING, which is why it IS being done, https://www.government-grants.co.uk/home-insulation-grants/...

but come on, get out of the road you self centered self important .......

How does insulation do that? If you meant stopping draughts, then yes.
Why insulate but allow draughts ? A lot of people will want to seal a house to be almost air tight. Seal a chimney up without an air brick and it will soon start to show signs of damp. Older houses were built with breathable materials and chimneys to help with air changes, stopping this process is a recipe for damp and mould.

Why insulate but allow draughts ? A lot of people will want to seal a house to be almost air tight. Seal a chimney up without an air brick and it will soon start to show signs of damp. Older houses were built with breathable materials and chimneys to help with air changes, stopping this process is a recipe for damp and mould.

The answer is good insulation, combined with attention to a reasonably well thought through ventilation scheme. There should be no draughts from anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Back