M25 Eco Protests

Sponsored Links
If I was a bit closer I would go and join them, their cause is just. The world needs to wake up to where we are heading with climate change - we need to start taking this stuff seriously.
'The world' is run by leaders and businesspeople that are driven (to varying degrees) by a desire for power, wealth and control. As usual, 'the world' will only do something genuinely constructive around all this when there's more money to be made going down the green route as oppose to current economic models and/or when the sh1t genuinely hits the fan. Now, you can say the latter's already happening, however it's still a debatable point because we don't all see the effects 24/7. All of this combined, including the challenges of transitioning away from our current power generation and consumption models, leads countries to set targets that are years/decades way or indeed to do nothing at all in some cases.

A few people blocking major roads won't do much. And it's causing untold inconvenience for many. And yes, I get that's the whole point.

I'd water-cannon them if it were up to me. And would you still be happy to have joined them if your <insert your most loved one here> was unbeknown to you held up in the roadblock and suffered a sudden onset illness then, because of you and your new-found mates blocking the road, they couldn't get to hospital in time and died.

Still worth it?

'The world' is run by leaders and businesspeople that are driven (to varying degrees) by a desire for power, wealth and control. As usual, 'the world' will only do something genuinely constructive around all this when there's more money to be made going down the green route as oppose to current economic models and/or when the sh1t genuinely hits the fan. Now, you can say the latter's already happening, however it's still a debatable point because we don't all see the effects 24/7. All of this combined, including the challenges of transitioning away from our current power generation and consumption models, leads countries to set targets that are years/decades way or indeed to do nothing at all in some cases.

A few people blocking major roads won't do much. And it's causing untold inconvenience for many. And yes, I get that's the whole point.

I'd water-cannon them if it were up to me. And would you still be happy to have joined them if your <insert your most loved one here> was unbeknown to you held up in the roadblock and suffered a sudden onset illness then, because of you and your new-found mates blocking the road, they couldn't get to hospital in time and died.

Still worth it?

The bigger story is the Ambulance delays. The guy was driving his mum to the Hospital and got caught in the protest. Sorry but he didnt think to get the Police involved.

There is more to this story.

Sponsored Links

Still worth it?
brings me back to the suffragettes - were they wrong?

I am sure there will be cases where someone dies and the finger gets pointed at the protesters - but how directly related will they be, someone crashes into the back of standing traffic on the M25, would that not be more a case of hideous driving?

One thing is absolutely for certain, if we don't get a grip on climate change then many millions will be dying.

I'd water-cannon them if it were up to me.
So you would use violence against peaceful protestors and cause them grievous bodily harm?

Good job its not up to you.

And would you still be happy to have joined them if your <insert your most loved one here> was unbeknown to you held up in the roadblock and suffered a sudden onset illness then, because of you and your new-found mates blocking the road, they couldn't get to hospital in time and died.

Still worth it?
And would you still be happy if your <insert your most loved one here> was unbeknown to you held up in traffic and suffered a sudden onset illness then, because a flood or a wildfire was blocking the road, they couldn't get to hospital in time and died?

Still not worth trying to prevent that?

I am sure there will be cases where someone dies and the finger gets pointed at the protesters - but how directly related will they be, someone crashes into the back of standing traffic on the M25, would that not be more a case of hideous driving?
Plus ask anybody who uses the M25 if theyve ever been stuck in stationary or very slow traffic for long periods without any road-block protests being involved. I wonder who would be to blame then if someone couldnt get to hospital in time.

So you would use violence against peaceful protestors and cause them grievous bodily harm?

Water cannon is hardly going to cause grievous bodily harm. Do they avoid bodily harm by running for cover if caught in a heavy rain storm ?

I totally agree that pollution has to be reduced, but disrupting transport and increasing the time that vehicle engines are running is not reducing pollution.

The protestors hope to bring attention to the problem, believe it or not peaceful methods do work.

But peaceful protests seldom produce the glamourous publicity that the protestors seek for themselves by blocking a road

disrupting transport and increasing the time that vehicle engines are running is not reducing pollution.
Anyone stuck in traffic who makes that moan and hasnt turned their engine off is a hypocrite.

Water cannon is hardly going to cause grievous bodily harm. Do they avoid bodily harm by running for cover if caught in a heavy rain storm ?
I don't think you appreciate the force involved. People have been blinded and knocked down and killed by Water Cannons.

They were rejected in 2014 because they were too dangerous for use in riots. Using them for peaceful, if annoying, protestors is crazy.

Sponsored Links
Back