magnaclean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Having some quotes for c.heating, 2 local installers never mentioned magnaclean, but british gas did (and they were almost double the price!).

Is it worth me asking the local installer who I am going to use to fit one of these. They are around £100 out of plumbworld.

Or are there alternative non-branded similar products. I mean, lets face it, its only a bar magnet in a jar!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
A magnaclean is a valuable addition. You installer should be able to buy one no more expensively than you can.

If you are having a new boiler fitted on an old installation, it needs to be powerflushed first.

Magnaclean smagnaclean.

Have you ever wondered what would happen if your radiators became magnetized? Or what happens with a part in the boiler with a magnetic field around it (like the pump)?

dirty (even after chemical clean and flush)
POL_0166.jpg

clean

Radwater20070518-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
simond said:
Magnaclean smagnaclean.

Have you ever wondered what would happen if your radiators became magnetized? Or what happens with a part in the boiler with a magnetic field around it (like the pump)?

Your point is?

The pump has an alternating field, why is that relevant?

My point is that a basic AC motor has a permanent magnet in it. When the current is on the field does change.

And that a glass jar with a magnet in it will not change the course of progress in heating systems. Mainly because a significant proportion of the muck in a CH system is not magnetic.

I think the Magnaclean is the sort of product I would find in the Lakeland catalogue, next to the chip fryer that only uses a teaspoon of oil ---- but takes 35 mins to cook.

If water bourne detritus keeps you up at night worrying, I suggest you fit a Spirovent, which does not unfairly discriminate between particles. Equal rights for particles! ;)

simond said:
My point is that a basic AC motor has a permanent magnet in it. When the current is on the field does change.

And that a glass jar with a magnet in it will not change the course of progress in heating systems. Mainly because a significant proportion of the muck in a CH system is not magnetic.

I think the Magnaclean is the sort of product I would find in the Lakeland catalogue, next to the chip fryer that only uses a teaspoon of oil ---- but takes 35 mins to cook.

If water bourne detritus keeps you up at night worrying, I suggest you fit a Spirovent, which does not unfairly discriminate between particles. Equal rights for particles! ;)

Does the Spirovent grab all the a particles, no matter what type? A Magnaclean can have a filter on the outlet to grab any crud. Also the Magnaclean does act as a sump for all particles, maybe not with the precision of a Spirovent though. The water spirals into and around the Magnaclean. Look inside one after a year of operation and there is crud on the bottom that needs cleaning out.

simond said:
My point is that a basic AC motor has a permanent magnet in it.

Sorry Simon, but the normal AC motors do not have any permanent magnets in them !

However, an AC field will still attract magnetic debris.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back