Magnaclean!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new boiler has a Magnaclean on the return pipework. Wow, what a wonderful bit of kit!

I checked it today after it's been in about 5-6 weeks and I had expected murky water but the CH water was crystal clear with just a light layer of oxide on the magnet. It had previously been cleaned about 1 week after installation.

Definitely will use these on my next house.

Sponsored Links
...the CH water was crystal clear with just a light layer of oxide on the magnet.
I don't understand why you think this means that the Magnaclean is effective. :confused:

To my obviously untrained mind, well in plumbing that is, it's removing particulate iron oxide, = sludge, ie the products of corrosion of the steel in the system from the water. Isn't that what it is supposed to do?

What am I missing then?

Please explain why you think it isn't working. (To me working = what it is designed to do.)

Sponsored Links
...the CH water was crystal clear with just a light layer of oxide on the magnet.
I don't understand why you think this means that the Magnaclean is effective. :confused:

To my obviously untrained mind, well in plumbing that is, it's removing particulate iron oxide, = sludge, ie the products of corrosion of the steel in the system from the water. Isn't that what it is supposed to do?

What am I missing then?

You are missing nothing at all. All this magentite sticks to the pipes and inside the heat exchangers and forms a thick layer that reduces efficiency and causes further rot.

Thanks for that.

Out of interest a thin layer of magnetite is promoted in power plant boilers because once established the magnetite layer forms a protective coating and guards against further corrosion.

However when this layer breaks up and detaches from the surface it forms a sludge that needs to be removed as it causes blockages, reduced heat transfer and ultimately tube failure. Not good a 2500psi! Power plant boilers are also regularly dosed and 'blown down' to remove solids from the system.

Therefore catching loose magnetite is good as is dosing to assist preservation of the internal surfaces.

Therefore catching loose magnetite is good as is dosing to assist preservation of the internal surfaces.
If catching it is a good thing, then catching more of it is a better thing.

By this token, catching a light layer when the water is crystal clear is neither useful nor impressive.

By this token, catching a light layer when the water is crystal clear is neither useful nor impressive.

and of course you know :rolleyes:

watch a steam boiler flue when they blow down everything goes off

and some of the pressure and the crud ends up in the blowdown pit

not the light layer the poster was talking about

Not getting your drift, Kev.

I don't understand the relevance of that to the OP's system.

Softus, I think you're missing the essential point here, the issue is that catching loose magnetite is good. What I originally posted was pointing out that the CH water was clear, ie the magnaclean had already done its job and continued to do so. Therefore it is a good thing to have.

Don't show your ignorance just accept the fact that the magnaclean actually works, ie does what it says, unless of course you can prove otherwise.

My added information on power plant boilers was just for added interest and to show that what may be assumed for domestic boilers is different in the real world of large generating plant that runs at high pressure, in excess of 2500psi, and high temperature. We're talking boilers 300 foot high here not 3 foot high! Just accept that you don't know everthing and shut up.

Sorry, I accept plumbers may know a lot about a small subject but you're really just on the tip of the iceburg!

Don't confuse soot blowing with blow down, they are completely different operations!

Softus, I think you're missing the essential point here, the issue is that catching loose magnetite is good.
That's the exact point that I made, so I really don't know how you think I've missed it.

What I originally posted was pointing out that the CH water was clear, ie the magnaclean had already done its job and continued to do so.
In that case I understand, but you posted an entirely different set of words that had an entirely different meaning.

Don't show your ignorance just accept the fact that the magnaclean actually works, ie does what it says, unless of course you can prove otherwise.
I own four Magnaclean Pro editions, and one Magnaclean Twintech. I've lost count of the number I've installed, so I fail to see in what way I'm ignorant about them. You, on the other hand, have installed one; or perhaps zero. :rolleyes:

My added information on power plant boilers was just for added interest and to show that what may be assumed for domestic boilers is different in the real world of large generating plant that runs at high pressure, in excess of 2500psi, and high temperature. We're talking boilers 300 foot high here not 3 foot high! Just accept that you don't know everthing and shut up.
No. You shut up. I made no comment whatsoever on the subject of this load of irrelevant b*llocks that you've just posted.

But you're not in the least bit sorry. :rolleyes:

I accept plumbers may know a lot about a small subject but you're really just on the tip of the iceburg!
A valiant attempt at a childish generalisation, but I'm not a plumber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back