Magnets for cupboards in porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BAD37C4F-4308-4F5C-A40F-B8573544BEF8.jpeg
FFA8FA2E-1E6D-4393-9333-FA9604F13C89.jpeg
Hi

Was painting architrave around our cupboard doors, and noticed one of the two doors wasn’t connecting to the magnets in the frame above. (This was before I painted)

Do you know where I might replacements for the metal plate and magnets?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I find those magnets to be completely inadequate for most purposes and tend to have to devise some stronger ones - rare earth magnets, or magnets salvaged for old hard disks work well.

Sponsored Links
the magnets have a slot and may have been bashed backwards out off reach
if the door is twisted and not sitting dead square they dont work
modern magnetic catches dont seem to have the 2 or 3mm rock needed to work properly
do the two metal plates rock at all around a vertical axis ??

Last edited:
OMG who in their right mind would go to the effort of ripping apart an old hard drive, think up some method of mounting it and an opposite plate on the door to save a few £'s? More substantial replacements are readily available at any DIY store or off ebay. Unbelievable.

13967CA0-8091-4D69-9FD2-36E8B3355651.jpeg
the magnets have a slot and may have been bashed backwards out off reach
if the door is twisted and not sitting dead square they dont work
modern magnetic catches dont seem to have the 2 or 3mm rock needed to work properly
do the two metal plates rock at all around a vertical axis ??

Both doors appear to be aligned properly, handles in line, same size gap between doors and frame. The left door also closes after being persuaded a few times.

Doesn’t look like plate rocks at all.

(Magnets still in slot)

Thanks again

OMG who in their right mind would go to the effort of ripping apart an old hard drive, think up some method of mounting it and an opposite plate on the door to save a few £'s? More substantial replacements are readily available at any DIY store or off ebay. Unbelievable.

OMG who in their right mind would go to the effort of ripping apart an old hard drive

My right mind tells me to destroy the hard drive platters ( discs ) before disposal, the magnets come as useful by-product.

Might be a bit difficult to open the cupboard with those magnets used as latches

Longshanks, have you actually determined if the doors are closing properly or not and allowing the magnet/plate to connect and if so is the plate still sticking to the magnet? If you unscrew a plate does it snap onto the magnet or not?

Is it that the doors are no longer closing properly and the magnets no longer have enough power to hold the doors shut?

If the magnets have merely lost their magnetism then simply replacing would seem the way to go.

its the magnetic catch that rocks
thr screw in the plate also has to be below the surface

Why? I tried various ready made door catches, found none to be adequate, so developed an alternative solution. To be fair, the last time I had to do it, the door was slightly warped airing cupboard. The magnets I used are much stronger than the shop bought items, so the doors close with a very positive click. Your issue is?

Magnets improve with age, simply out of alignment or binding hinge causing tension.Should be at least two on each door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back