Main Supply Transformer Fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some general information on the main supply transformer to our property. The transformer is pole mounted which is fed from the overhead lines. Our underground supply then comes off the transformer. I assume these transformers must have some sort of fuse? Does anybody know how these fuses work and what they protect against? Are the fuses obvious on the pole or concealed within the transformer housing?

Just interested as I know how careful we have to be in protecting our homes, I wondered how much protection there is to the main lines and transformers??

Sponsored Links
It really is of no concern to you.

Please tell us the truth.

Have you severed the supply cable to your new house, or are you tring to move the cutout yourself?

Whatever it is, you have no place arseing about with DNO equipment.

What if you touch the wrong thing and receive an ELEVEN THOUSAND volt shock?

I'll tell you. You WILL die.

Thanks for the warning and I would never touch DNO equipment. I resent the accusation.

I am just interested in how it all works - is that not allowed? I'm quite sure you have lots of interests which 'are no concern of yours' but you still like to know how things work.

Never mind... it's not important. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info.

So in essence many supply transformers will burn out rather than blow any traditional fuse :eek: . This is what I was getting at in my first post. There are so many regulations, quite rightly, for us to follow yet the suppliers seem to get away with fewer restrictions. The regulations for their supply cables are different from domestic regulations as well. A builder friend who has worked with a DNO was surprised about how lax they often are when it comes to how they install cabling etc.

So who is responsible if the transformer blows due to a lightning strike for example? I assume the answer is the consumer who has to foot the bill. :cry:

Thanks for the reply

Why would the customer be responsible for an act of god on the DNO's equipment?

Probably because most things come back to us and not the DNO! From reading on the internet I believe the transformer is the responsibility of the customer even though we can't touch it or get anyone else to either!

I've also been told that the underground cable is my responsibility as well and if it fails, I have to pay them to replace it :eek: .

The equipment after the meter is your responsibility and everything up to and including the meter is someone elses.

If you damage your supply cable, you may be charged.

Noticing your username, If you build a new house, the DNO will survey and decide what is needed to give you a supply. If that includes a transformer then you pay for that but it remains their property. If it catches fire, a pig lands on it or it blows over or whatever then they pay to repair it

Every pole mounted transformer round here has fuse carriers mounted on the pole on the LV side. The ones that an EME engineer showed me a while back were 400A HRC type fuses.

A pole mounted trnny feeding a single home is likely to have a pole mounted 100amp fuse. There is no point in it being larger. As the tranny feeds more homes, the fuse and tranny gets larger.

You may see a brown red cylinder or grey handle looking block up the pole near the tranny. This is the fuse, and is usually removed at ground level using an insulated pole. with a hook. The grey ones are more of a 'hands on' type fuse.

The HV is not fused, but uses circuit breakers. These, as said, offer little protection. The automatic reclosers will operate 3 times before locking out, but even then, the DNO are likely to manually reclose it rather than looking up and down miles of lines in the dark.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back