Mains water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know what this pipe is? It is attached to lead that comes in from the road. Is this a standard connector? As it has grey speedfit in the spur, I'm assuming that white or grey speedfit will fit into the downstream leg, as I need to replace the black pipe downstream, as it is leaking under a concrete slab somewhere (need to reroute to fix leak). Will White speedfit (screw fix) fit in the joint when I redo it?
HtH,

Attachments

• IMG_20200113_114043.jpg
    IMG_20200113_114043.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 375
Sponsored Links
Looks like black alkathene, the tee should have the size written in it, looks like a plasson fitting. I’m not sure speedfit or any other pushfit domestic pipes can be fitted underground, should be blue mdpe.

Edit: if you’re connecting onto lead, there are fittings, unless you want to do away with the lead? A lot of water suppliers do lead replacement schemes, whereby you obtain someone to carry out the leg work from your property to the boundary tap and they’ll connect for free (usually).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's under the floorboards, not underground so to speak.
The reroute will be above the concrete slab. The fitting is just before it enters the slab.
Will the JG fit into the fitting?

Does the pipe degrade under concrete or do you think there is a fitting that is leaking?

Does the pipe degrade under concrete or do you think there is a fitting that is leaking?
If in contact with concrete can rub on the concrete causing it to fail, if it were copper then it could corrode it.

You will need an insert to be able to put speedfit into the T.

Plasson do a couple of types of 20-15 and 25-15 ones.

A quick google returned this
Is Alkathene the same as Mdpe?
What is Alkathene Pipe and is it different to MDPE? Blue and black MDPE products for water supply may also be referred to as alkathene, which was a commercial name for polyethylene first introduced by ICI in the 1930s. Today it is more commonly known as MDPE.
Both different coloured pipes are used to transport water, however with one very important difference: Blue MDPE pipe is used to carry drinking (potable) water. Black MDPE pipe is used to carry NON drinking (non-potable) water.

From this i can assume there is not chemical difference between the two, ie blue and black are more of a visual indication of the water that is supposed to be carried? While im here, if there is a chemical difference, i could swap out the old pipe for MDPE, though id guess that the lead from the street is more toxic than any plastic pipe...
Cheers,

Whatever you do, get one for potable (drinking water).

They use blue and black both for drinking. Blue is just the new black.

They are also slightly different sizes, Plasson fitting need inserts to take black where as a Philmac fitting will take either.

Black MDPE Alkathene (it's actually HDPE) is normally recommended to be used as a temp above ground solution as it is more UV stable and as it is actually high density compared to the blue medium density, it is also more robust and stands up to more mechanical abuse. It is also recommended for use in commercial/industrial applications.

Blue is primarily used for underground domestic potable water applications.

I have to disagree with Ian H though as they are both standard metric OD sizes starting at 20mm and can use either of the manufacturers standard compression fittings. The older black imperial alkathene pipes do need adapters though.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I have to disagree with Ian H though as they are both standard metric OD sizes starting at 20mm and can use either of the manufacturers standard compression fittings. The older black imperial alkathene pipes do need adapters though.

Yes, i’m assuming the OP’s pipe is an old original water supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back