Manrose extractor replaced, doesn't work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Manrose XF100LV extractor (was in flat when we bought 4 yrs ago), started to rattle and became quite noisy. Today it died.

I bought an identical replacement. Husband fixed it up and wired as before (instructions enclosed seem to apply to several models, none look same as ours).

All looks OK, fan blades checked and rotate when spun by hand. However when light cord pulled, fan doesn't activate. The transformer in adjacent room lights up, so presume that means it's working?

So why isn't fan working, ideas?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I couldn't see that model online. Saw a XF100LV.

The fan is 12v AC is it? I assume the transformer is correct. Do you own a multimeter?

Oh sorry, yes 100, not 10! Have changed. Tks.

No haven't got a multimeter (but can get if necessary). But nothing has changed. The extractor is exactly the same model as before. The transformer lights up when on.

So do I still need a multimeter?

I rang Manrose a week ago and they said that the rattling suggested the motor was going.

We have wired up exactly as before. Could Manrose have swapped the live and neutral round. I can't see any labelling on the extractor, and the instructions show the other way round - but the diagram shows 2 separate wiring points (ie 2 blocks of 2+2), whereas the extractor only 1 block of 2+2. Very confusing.

Would it be safe to swap the live ans neutral wires to try out?

I wondered if it was to do with the pull cord - but if the transformer light works then it can't be the cord?!

May not look at any reply till tomorrow. Thks

If it's AC then I'm certain it would work either way around but I wouldn't swap the wires and I don't think for one minute that it would make a difference anyway. 12v AC is ELV (extra low voltage) so it's reasonably safe to be able to test the fan supply wiring live with a voltmeter or multimeter if you know how to use one. Probably there's a vid on Youtube if not. Transformer on the other hand, obviously it has 240v input so take care there and don't go removing the casing or prodding at terminals. Whether the transformer is lit or not you need to establish that you do actually have 12v AC at the fan.

Sponsored Links
OK. Will see what I can do. I know I had something to test electricity, but don't think it's a voltmeter or multimeter.

Will definitely check husband has connected wires correctly (ie they are 'in').

Just one question. Why would I need to check the transformer if it's the original?! Can the voltage change on its own??

And if the original fan was 12V (as is the replacement), why do I need to test?

(JUst trying to save having to buy the multimeter etc)

Will update once I have looked and got got husband away from the football over the w/e (hopefully).

Thanks for you help

A photograph of the new connections might be useful.

At this point don't disturb anything that you didn't disconnect while removing old and fitting the new fan.

P
Just one question. Why would I need to check the transformer if it's the original?! Can the voltage change on its own??

Initial fault on the motor of the old fan may have caused the transformer secondary (12v side) to also fail. Lit up means there's mains to the unit but doesn't guarantee that the transformer is working. A new fan is unlikely to be faulty. Can happen of course but more likely the wiring as you suggest or the actual transformer.

As suggested above, a photo of the connections made would be useful.

Got my work cut out over the weekend. First enjoying day out b4 the big matches today and tomorrow. Will report back with photos. Got a horrid feeling it may be the transformer Thanks both of you.

It's a Manrose XF100LV extractor. I didn't buy a new transformer as it is the same fan as the one I'm replacing. So if there is nothing wrong with the existing transformer - no point in changing?

OK OK - I get it - Monday I'll get a multimeter (or may try and grab an electrician working in the flats). Thanks for all your time.

As Swishy indicates, there's no proof that the transformer is ok.

There's a good chance that's packed up.

Thanks all of you. Advice brilliant. Found a brilliant sparky. He checked with the multimeter and found there was no electricity into the 12 volt side of the transformer. Hubby had wired new extractor correctly. Had bought a new transformer for the electrician. All done and working and much quieter - before had to ask guests not to use extractor at night which was a bit embarassing. Big thanks again x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back