Mattresses for 6 Foot Wide Bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These bed-frames are 200cm long.

Mrs Secure does not like electric blankets, but I want one and we want different mattresses, so the solution is to have two single mattresses.

The trouble is, a standard UK single is only 190 long. Euro singles are exactly the right dimensions, but there is much less choice.

Has anyone faced this choice and what solution did they go for?

Sponsored Links
I found your's to be an "interesting" post, for several reasons.
I did not realize that there were such different "standards" in various countries !

I also note that the UK (and Europe) does not seem to have a "Queen Size" - which is intermediate between "Double" and "King" size and which has been (virtually) "standard" in Australian homes for well over 50 years.

It is also interesting that Australian mattresses are 30 mm longer than those in Europe.
(Compare https://www.bedandmattress.co.uk/size_guide with https://www.sleepmaker.com.au/mattress-bed-sizes
Also note that Australian sites do not continue to use Imperial dimensions, largely because younger persons now do not have much idea of what these mean !)

However, to go back to your problem, I suggest that all that you need to do is to "pack" the head/pillow end 100 mm "gap" with a "block" of sponge rubber (or similar).
There will not be much weight on this area of the bed and you do not "need" an actual mattress in that area.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, fellas.

Z&L are no good as I need an electric blanket on my side.
Sadly, two singles is too wide for the available space.
I shall think about this again!

Can't you fit a single leccy blanket on your side or get a king size dual control blanket?
Tried fitting a single blanket on my side of the existing mattress and it was a complete PIA, because it wouldn't stay in place.
I have suggested a blanket across the whole mattress and her side remains unused, but Mrs Secure does not like them under the sheet. Princess and the pea perhaps?

a dual control, with a padded mattress protector over it, might do the trick.

But look out for the connector. They often have a hard plastic plug and socket now (so you can unplug it to wash) near the head end. Older ones used to have the cables long enough to go in the foot end, where they were no trouble.

Electric blanket? Horrendous thing to have on your bed. My bed has to be cold when I get in. I like the window open too.

I like a cool room, pref window open (but Mrs S hates window open!), but warm bed.

Same here apart from it must be roasting when I go up - always put the heating up 20 mins before I go up.

Sponsored Links
Back