Max wattage of a electric socket

An inductive load will cause more arcing on the contacts than a resistive load, however for these sockets also an inductive load could produce RF which could also effect the socket.

Things have improved, but around 10 years ago we had a dog, and I had to take it for an evening walk, so while on the walk I would chat to my radio friends on the local repeater, I was only using 5W and the radio was tested and it had a very clean output, but it was like Blackpool illuminations watching all the security lights flashing on and off as that very low power activated them.

My father lived across from a police house, before the police radios went digital he could hear them talking on his electronic organs speakers.

If the light wave devices interfere with ham radios, then the reverse is likely also true, now the light wave device uses milliwatts, but the radio ham is allowed 400 watt. If the ham is using speech then likely it will not affect the light wave device, but hams also use digital communications, so it is very likely that be it emergency services, ham radio, or simple taxi that at some time radio waves will swamp the device and cause a malfunction.

Because they work today, does not mean they will work tomorrow. We are swamping our houses with radio waves, to expect they will not interfere with each other is to bury ones head in the sand.

To use a device which you can unplug and stop using if there is a problem is OK, but to use devices which are fixed into the fabric of the house is asking for problems. Looking at immersion heater time switches they are also rated 13A resistive, but for an inductive load rated around 5A so it would seem likely the same with the socket.

Sponsored Links
but could someone please explain it in layman terms.

Don't use it with anything with a motor in it.

Please see the one star review on the following Amazon link - should this concern me?

Yes.

What about a Mulinex blender etc for the kitchen?

Ask the manufacturer. Normally they'd say something like "10A resistive, 1A inductive" but this doesn't seem to have any rating at all for inductive loads.

And again, is that confirming 13A across each gang or for each gang?

Ask the manufacturer.

What do you intend to plug in these sockets? I keep seeing them advertised but can't think of a sensible a use for them.

Sponsored Links
What do you intend to plug in these sockets? I keep seeing them advertised but can't think of a sensible a use for them.
I tend to agree. I think one of the most common uses is for (as ey143 suggested!) table lamps (not to be confused with table bulbs, although one does have to put lamps into them :) ) - both the sockets and switches of which are often in less-than-easily-accessible places!

Kind Regards, John

I tend to agree. I think one of the most common uses is for (as ey143 suggested!) table lamps (not to be confused with table bulbs, although one does have to put lamps into them :) ) - both the sockets and switches of which are often in less-than-easily-accessible places!

Kind Regards, John
That's why I love 5A round pins switched from the light switch. Can't go wrong

I have bought loads of these as part of my renovation project because they look good but also because I am incorporating quite a few smart home features into the house. Seemed like a natural fit for me. As to what products you can use in it, it's a regular socket so should be no different. Except reading between the lines, excludes certain things motor related!

Last edited:
I have bought loss of these as part of my renovation project because they look good but also because I am incorporating quite a few smart home features into the house. Seemed like a natural fit for me. As to what products you can use in it, it's a regular socket so should be no different. Except reading between the lines, excludes certain things motor related!
Yes - but, as has been implied, what sort of things would you envisage plugging into them? Most TV/AV/entertainment stuff comes with a remote which switches it on/'off' (into standby mode - and the RF sockets probably use at least as much quiescent power as does equipment in standby mode), and remote switching doesn't really make sense (or necessarily be safe) for small kitchen appliances, power tools, hair dryers, device changers or vacuum cleaners etc. etc. - so, apart from the table lamps we've both mentioned, what does that leave (other than a hole in one's pocket as compared with using regular sockets)?

Kind Regards, John

Are we sure it is not a misprint for 3000W?

If you click on the link at the bottom to "What appliances can I use"
The page says virtually the same but with 3000W.

Are we sure it is not a misprint for 3000W?
I did wonder, and 3000 W would obviously make more sense, but it does appear as 300 twice in that paragraph.
If you click on the link at the bottom to "What appliances can I use". The page says virtually the same but with 3000W.
OK. That strengthens the typo theory, I suppose.

If it really could only cope with 300 W loads without being damaged, it would surely need a warning on it (and/or a low rating, probably 1A, internal fuse), since it looks to all the world like a standard 13A outlet?

Kind Regards, John

That is a valid question - but what if I said the ability to lock down some sockets remotely to prevent the kids from watching TV for a start. Ok granted that is only one socket. The ordering more could be down to the look of those sockets and in order to get them to match I would need more of the same.

For switches behind cupboards I guess I could go for the bog standard MK white ones but the ones on show ie hall landing area etc could have the Lightwave ones, if only for looks.

That is a valid question - but what if I said the ability to lock down some sockets remotely to prevent the kids from watching TV for a start.
OK - but if that is the most important/best reason you can provide for using them, I think that you are maybe making my point for me!
Ok granted that is only one socket. The ordering more could be down to the look of those sockets and in order to get them to match I would need more of the same. ... For switches behind cupboards I guess I could go for the bog standard MK white ones but the ones on show ie hall landing area etc could have the Lightwave ones, if only for looks.
'Standard' ('passive') electrical accessories are available in a vast variety of designs and finishes, most at considerably lower price than remotely-controllable ones. I would therefore not think that appearance would/should, in itself, be a good reason for buying remotely-controllable ones.

As for a few of the 'downsides' (in addition to cost) that I can think of ... given the appreciable complexity of remotely controllable sockets (and switches), there is far more that can 'go wrong' with them than a standard ('passive') accessory, so I certainly would not expect the same average usable lifetime (and, unless you purchased a number of spares up-front, there would be no guarantee that you could match the appearance if/when you had to replace any). The electronics in remotely controllable ones are likely to be destroyed by (and, in any event, would interfere with) insulation resistance testing - so (per warning in the LightwaveRF manual), every single remotely controllable socket/switch would have to be disconnected from the circuit before any such testing could be undertaken. There are also some theoretical potential dangers in a socket which can be 'locked on' - although I admit that this is no worse than an unswitched socket. Per other discussions, I do not know how easily they can be 'hacked', but it's not going to be impossible - and some 'nuisance maker' (or worse) could certainly 'block' them - just as with anything else relying on RF transmissions. As for aesthetics, I would personally not want a house full of sockets which all had LEDs 'shining' (whether the socket was 'on' or 'off') - which I would regard as a little 'tacky'!

Having said all that, we live in a free society, and everyone has their personal likes, dislikes and views, so it's obviously entirely up to you to decide if you want to use these products.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back