May 23rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Many political parties before now have suggested a vote for them would be a vote to cap immigration but the fact of the matter is there isn't a cap on volume and as an EU member there won't be.
And after Brexit there won't be either...

There will of course be an attempt to pretend there is, but the truth is we'll need as many migrants as before in order to 'service' an ageing indigenous population!

It'll just be that those migrants may well come from different climes!

However there are restrictions and 'caps' on migrants from certain EU countries that the UK often chooses not to impose...

Are there still transitional arrangements in place? I thought they mostly applied to the A8 countries that joined in 2004 (restrictions that Tony Blair did not impose).

Sponsored Links
Are there still transitional arrangements in place? I thought they mostly applied to the A8 countries that joined in 2004 (restrictions that Tony Blair did not impose).
Yep...

Up to 7 years from joining the EU...
(and in 'emergency' conditions)

Currently Croatia falls under that category.

Yes, but the gripe in this thread was the myth that Freedom of Movement amounts to unrestricted immigration.

Absolute bulls hit.

Either you quitters are bothered about freedom of movement, which just fills vacant jobs or you are bothered about our largest source of immigrants which is provided by India and China and feck all to do with the EU.

Make your mind up.

Little fact checker for you https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/migrants-in-the-uk-an-overview/
see table 3 and tell me where Poland is ?

If a job is vacant - you have to ask why. Is it that the pay and working conditions are insufficient to attract a candidate? If so what does filling the position with a migrant workforce do? Last time I checked we still have 3.9% unemployment. I'm not anti immigrant, I think they have helped our economy become more competitive. I am however, against large rapid growth in migration. For example a doubling in 5 years in some areas. That has a huge impact on resources which cannot scale quickly.

Last edited:
And over and over again you did so in response to a statement that immigration was restricted.
is this not just an argument of semantics?

free movement and staying the UK has conditions attached (in theory).

of those that comply to the conditions there are no numerical limits.

The UK is by no means the only EU state to have concerns about free movement of people.

No, it's a question of truth. This country does not have unrestricted immigration.

It's also a question of political deceit. Fraudulent politicians like to spread the rumour that we are overrun with foreigners and resigning from the EU will cleanse us of them. Neither is true.

A tactic you're notorious for employing :rolleyes:

I thought that ended in 2018....
The UK government decided to end restrictions at that time...
(30/6/18)

However EU regulations/restrictions are still in place for Croatia until 1/7/20 should any EU member wish to apply them.

The UK will hold European Parliament elections on May 23, the government has confirmed today.

https://www.ft.com/content/7524e442-70d4-11e9-bbfb-5c68069fbd15

Who would have thought it, this was announced on the last day that would-be voters can register.

If you know anyone young, or living away from home, or recently moved house, pass them this link and tell them they have until midnight to register online.

It might not have been a deliberate ploy by the government to make it difficult for such people to vote.

Or maybe....

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote...H9ymMuTXGlEya46JNNsZ5ptJn3Y6APj5OjRJpg2dSY4e8

Danny Baker

Of course it is.

I understand what JD and BAS are saying, immigrants from outside of the EU have a basic criteria they have to meet to be allowed a visa.

They might like to pretend the same applies to EU nationals but while we aren't in the Schengen zone, we can't refuse entry unless there are special circumstances.

We hear it all the time, it's not the type of people or the criteria they do or don't meet that is important to the people who vote with the intention of further restriction on immigration, it's purely down to volume, the amount of people who come into the country while infrastructure isn't being developed at a fast enough rate to meet the demands of the current population along with inward migration.

The fact of the matter is, as Lal said, inward migration by volume, quantity is not restricted and that's what's a key issue to voters. I don't hear of campaigns to restrict migrant doctors? Mostly cheaper labour. That's a separate argument.

Qué John D putting it down to Tory cuts that we can't develop infrastructure to meet demand.

... EU nationals but while we aren't in the Schengen zone, we can't refuse entry unless there are special circumstances.

EU citizens (including British ones) have the right to travel within their own country, and to other EU countries, to take up work or to look for work.

If they fail to get employment in another EU country after three months, or for certain other reasons are undesirables, they can be sent home.

You know that.

The fact of the matter is...

inward migration by volume, quantity is not restricted and that's what's a key issue to voters.

From the other thread that 'someone' shut down ;)

Waiting for you to now pretend the EU nationals are not majority white.
Unlike you, I don't pretend...;)

Of course the majority of EU nationals are 'white'.
(Although some quitters would argue that those migrants from ex Eastern European member countries and 'Roma' aren't really 'white')

So given that we agree that majority of EU nationals are 'white', how about you tell us why that leave poster pictured only black faces?

Over to you :)

Oh, and as for non-EU migrants...

Plenty of 'white' faces from the Commonwealth/America....

Buy hey, I don't get hung up on the colour of a person's skin anyway. Unlike many who sadly appear to do so when looking to pin the blame elsewhere for their own problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back