Megxit

Sponsored Links
That would be because only men did those things.
Not entirely, at one point only men could do it, then Women could too but it wasn't worth making up a new word for it. For various reasons, probably because the 17th century was a bit backwards, we invented new words for some jobs when women started doing them but not for others. We're back to that discussion about English being a complete mess.

For the same reason we don't call Meghan 'he' or a 'man' nor her grandmother-in-law the King.
Except Actor is correct and your examples are not.

Last edited:
It doesn't make any difference to me so why not use Actor?

It doesn't make any difference to me either, so why not use Actress?

Because you are not an arsehole and don't try to **** people off if it doesn't matter to you.

I don't "get" how the term "actress" came (in some peoples' eyes) to mean something less worthy than "actor".
Unless it is just another case of change for its own sake.

Bloke blokes.

This reminded me of a holiday many years ago. Barge trip, somewhere in the midlands. Essentially a pub crawl on a boat. Anyway, one afternoon in a beer garden a ladybird landed on the table, and we decided the name was sexist, and from that day we'd call them bloke blokes.

I still call them that 25 years later. Doubt anybody else does though. My kids think I'm odd.

Sponsored Links
I don't "get" how the term "actress" came (in some peoples' eyes) to mean something less worthy than "actor".
Unless it is just another case of change for its own sake.
I don't know, or really care that much otherwise I'd Google it. But if they want it then why not?

i didn't know some people considered it worse.
Just from the French, isn't it - one of those words borrowed from France have different endings, like

waitress, princess, duchess, empress, enchantress, heiress, hostess etc.

Just language. We nicked the words. Why change? Well, many of our occupational words are neutral

teacher, nurse, doctor, banker, plumber etc.

Maybe our language will change, maybe we will go back to calling them Players.

But, it is more convenient at times. Who is the actress in the new Star Wars film? You know I am not talking about the black stormtrooper or , white fighter pilot, or the new baddie.

I don't know, or really care that much otherwise I'd Google it. But if they want it then why not?

Who are the "they", though?
Are they in the majority?
Or are they a very vocal minority, railroading through their wishes against those of the less-forceful majority?

(As you are not really bothered, I don't expect you to answer. These are more my musings, than anything else.)

But, it is more convenient at times. Who is the actress in the new Star Wars film? You know I am not talking about the black stormtrooper or , white fighter pilot, or the new baddie.
Carrie Fisher?

i didn't know some people considered it worse.

Whoopi Goldberg does. She once said (something along the lines of) that "being an actress means I can only play women. Being an actor means I can play both men and women." Which is cobblers-thinking.

Whoopi Goldberg does. She once said (something along the lines of) that "being an actress means I can only play women. Being an actor means I can play both men and women." Which is cobblers-thinking.
But does happen.

Don't the oscars call it 'Best actress in a leading role' or something akin to that..? They don't seem to mind.

Vicky the Viking. Girl pretended to be a boy viking!

Sponsored Links
Back