Memories of an old time plumber

M

malcolmX

I would say this is where old time memories of the plumbing game should be??

Sponsored Links
General discussion is full of non plumbers though.
but it's full of lonely hearts.
Malcolm X come over to screwfix for banter!
thats a good invite not to miss out on. :rolleyes:
join mr puller
asleep-045.gif

Sponsored Links
Right so this is where we are, just give me a minute to collect my memories.
Anyone else got any old time memories or any funny happenings while on the job please tell us and if you have ever been chased around around the house by some lusty woman please change the name or you might end up being sued :LOL:

Maybe you can start us off Malcolm, I bet you've seen some nasty injurys in your time on sites (lack of health & safety), care to share them?

I was told a few when I was an apprentice in mechanical engineering.

Guys would get a finger cut off, stir their tea with it and put in in their tobacco tin for later when they went to A&E.

Dont...

Forget to drain the store before removing a sensor on a Boilermate.

Pick away a bit of rust of the cylinder (could have canooed down the stairs).

Undo a retrictor elbow live and let the 1/4 iron fall under the boards - especially when you have no idea where the gas meter is.

AND NEVER unsolder a live gas pipe under the stairs - even if the customer has told you the gas is turned off. Hospital time for that one.

DO...

wrestle a bloke smoking a cigarette to the floor when your called to a factory which has had a gas meter stolen by youths and it pumping out copius amouts of gas. (in the early 80's that one). That was a scary one. :eek:

P46

One could try to change a safety valve - live. Only to find its a 3/4" BSP thread in your left hand, and the new one is 1/2"......

Along the same lines, we had a guy, lets call him joe90, his eyesight was far from perfect 20/20, anyways, he tried the above, and, deciding he did not wish to get any wetter, decided to leap across the resulting flow and onto the white rug on the other side of the lounge and found it was in fact a pedigree white Alsation asleep despite all that was occurring.

So, two bills, one for the water damage and a larger one for vets fees.

One keen apprentice boy (not me) volunteered to climb up onto the top of the shared flue stack (three storeys, two flats off each landing - six pots) to drop the flue liner for a Back Boiler install.

result one 'liitle old lady' bearing a close resemblence to a 'Kentucky minstrel' bursting out of the door closely followed by a cloud of soot.

AH..... them was the days.

DH

Dont...

Forget to drain the store before removing a sensor on a Boilermate.

Pick away a bit of rust of the cylinder (could have canooed down the stairs).

Undo a retrictor elbow live and let the 1/4 iron fall under the boards - especially when you have no idea where the gas meter is.

AND NEVER unsolder a live gas pipe under the stairs - even if the customer has told you the gas is turned off. Hospital time for that one.

DO...

wrestle a bloke smoking a cigarette to the floor when your called to a factory which has had a gas meter stolen by youths and it pumping out copius amouts of gas. (in the early 80's that one). That was a scary one. :eek:

P46

You need to up your medication.

Right so this is where we are then on the general discussion forum, been a hectic day today will be starting things off as soon as I can.
Just to put you in the picture, I left school at the Christmas of 1956, 54 years ago 11 years after the war ended so you can imagine the changes that have been made over those years.
Just hang fire while I get my act together. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back