metal cordgrip bulbholder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking into running three lamps from an existing ceiling rose (in parallel from the exisitng rose, so that the same single switch operate all three lamps). I am looking at using the coloured vintage type flex. The flex will chain into these :

http://www.lampsandlights.co.uk/moredetails.php?ref=lhantique20

I haven't wired into metal lampholders like these - do these type have an earth connection?

Sponsored Links
It definitely should have.

Actually it looks like there is a nipple at the back left - perhaps the earth comes out from the inside here and gets screwed to the metal??

Has anyone chained these together with three core lighting so that TWO flexes go into the cordgrip??

i.e. does it have the capacity to take two flexes??

It looks similar to this one:

20130108223322928.jpg

does it have the capacity to take two flexes??
Well, if they are small enough. :)
Why would/do you want to?

Sponsored Links
Actually it looks like there is a nipple at the back left - perhaps the earth comes out from the inside here and gets screwed to the metal??
If the 'nipple' is like the one in EFLI's piccie, then yes. The hole through that terminal will go right through, so you can insert the earth wire(s) from the inside and then do up the screw outside.

Kind Regards, John

Has anyone chained these together with three core lighting so that TWO flexes go into the cordgrip?? i.e. does it have the capacity to take two flexes??
If these lampholders will be dangling from ceiling roses, you could do your 'chaining together' between the roses, with just a single cable going to each lampholder from its respective rose - or are they going to be in some situation other than 'dangling from ceiling roses'?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for al your replies. So current thinking is to use one of these :

http://www.screwfix.com/p/25mm-4-way-galvanised-conduit-box/70836

with block connectors and three core, earthed in the conduit box, then feed three lamps directly from this box, again using three core to the metal lamp holder.

Has anyone come across a "cord grip" that I can use directly screwed into this box to protect the flex from drag??

Theres a pub in islington that has done that with 4 outlet boxes and 20mm flexglands and too be honest were the cable right angles out it looks poor, if you like the galv look, how about either a plain or a stop end box or even a sguare galv box with the outlet glands in the underside, you only really need 12mm lighting flex glands and would get 3 into the lid easily, if you was hanging direct to shades then the closeness would be a problem, with them hitting the wires but im assuming your just using as an outlet and suspending the holders elsewhere.

OK - supplementary question. I will be using a connector block to bring in the lighting circuit plus switch circuit into the galvanised conduit (which will be acting like a ceiling rose, then running off three ligths from each conduit box (therefore there will be 6 neutrals in the one block). So the question is whether there is a max number of cables that one should use in a connector block. And will a 15A block suffice or should I go up to 30A for ease of connection?

If you cut the cables to the right length you could put 3 in one side and 3 in the other, then a 15 amp block would proberly suffice.
This is acceptable some people feel that both screws should secure the same cable and tend to bunch them all in one side, but unless im mistaken thats not neccesary really,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back