Metal fixings in mortar between bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm currently changing an old post and the fixings that were on the wood are in between the bricks and I'm struggling to get them out.
I've knocked them to the sides and they move when hit but don't seem to be loosening.
Ive picked away at the mortar either side and still no luck.
Any ideas how best to get them out? Do I need to keep going with chipping away either side? I don't know whether there's a depth I should/shouldn't reach.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 15906772536056080078705651123258.jpg
    15906772536056080078705651123258.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 319
Sponsored Links
Surely they had lag bolts and rawl plugs back in the day... and it definitely won't slide along left or right?

Sponsored Links
I pulled one of them out the other day- had to drill into the (lime) mortar around it to get it to move. But that was in a 200 year old house, that brickwork looks much more recent

Thanks I'll keep at it and see whether I have any luck. Any idea what they're called?

Thanks for the replies, managed the finally get them out after drilling and chiselling!

what did it look like, the fixing, and how did you get it out.

I've attached a picture. The bit at the bottom of the picture went alongside the piece of wood and a screw then went in there.
I just kept chipping away and drilling at the mortar and using a mallet to knock them from side to side where I could and eventually they came out - I hope I don't run in to any more any time soon!

Attachments

• IMG_20200601_190457.jpg
    IMG_20200601_190457.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 273
I've got an old rusty, hooked one in my back garden wall, probably been there since the house was built in 1873, but as it is well above head height I'm leaving it in situ.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back