Metal to plastic adhesives help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking for a little bit of advice on adhesives. I'm trying to insulate a single skin garage door and initially used gripfill to join the xps based panels to the metal. This worked well for a time, but the gripfill after about 3mths started going brittle and falling off and eventually the bond failed.
As its a metal door it has air gaps so there is a gap behind the insulation to prevent moisture build up. This means on really windy days it does put a bit of load on the bond so it needs to be something quite strong.
Does anyone know anything better than gripfill for the task?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Personally I think I'd be looking at a mechanical fixing for this, with a spacer on the door inside to provide the requisite gap.
Have you considered the extra weight of the door, which may interfere with its opening ability?
John :)

Expanding foam will work .any people use it to secure plasterboard.

I find it hard to believe that proper Gripfil has failed - especially if it was the solvent one.

Sponsored Links
I find it hard to believe that proper Gripfil has failed - especially if it was the solvent one.

I was surprised too. It worked great for a while, but i guess the heating and cooling of the metal and all the wind we've had got the better of it. It was the genuine stuff from my local toolstation

Personally I think I'd be looking at a mechanical fixing for this, with a spacer on the door inside to provide the requisite gap.
Have you considered the extra weight of the door, which may interfere with its opening ability?

There is hardly any weight in the insulation. Its just 10mm with a foil face and when its up does quite a good job. Keeps the air off that cold metal.
Mechanical seemed a bit overkill for something so light and with it being a single skin there isn't a lot to fix it too. I did consider batons along the back, but it looks a bit ugly and does add weight.

Maybe i should try expanding foam, but its messy stuff. Is pinkgrip any good?

Maybe you could consider some self tapping screws and penny washers, just to give the no nails stuff a bit of a hand? I only use the spirit based stuff personally, but you've got to get a move on.

I have been recently using an adhesive silicone that appears to be very good better than gripfill, you can even use on wet surfaces,it sticks any type of material or different materials like metal onto brick,
can't remember the name though and don't have any left in the van,plumbase stock it,it's name is something like cti or f ?,most plumbase have a sample brick on the counter with different metals or plastic glued on, it comes in different colours as well.

CT1 or Tec 7 will do but are much dearer. They stay slightly flexible unlike gripfill which may have been the reason for the fatigue.

Have had success with 'Sticks like S***' it really does seem to stick anything and stays flexible - think Evo-Stik make it but failing that the polyurethane foam would probably work.

Make sure your surfaces are clean and grease-free - otherwise it's just sticking dirt and crap to other dirt and crap. Go over with a skim of meths first and let it flash off before applying whichever tube of stuff.

Nozzle

Small blobs of Expanding Foam is the way.

I used to be a coachbuilder and used this technique for xps type panels to aluminium, stainless and steels.

For dead flat surfaces, Evo-Stik contact adhesive.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back