Metallic scraping/grating noise when accelerating sometimes, what is it ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed this problem a few weeks ago but it is not very often I hear it just time to time atm

When driving ( not sure which gears but I think it is mainly in the lower gears when accelerating hard) I hear a grating/metallic scraping noise for a few seconds that then disappears , at first I thought it was brake pads but they are still almost brand new.

The noise seems very much to be coming from the driver side front area.

I did a quick google search and found something similar which people there had said to the poster on that topic that it could be a wheel bearing

If wheel bearings can cause ths noise then I am wondering might this might be the problem with my car as there is a droning noise from driver side front that gets worse as I drive around bends , the droning is coming from front right but gets louder as I turn the car left. also the same side this scraping noise is also coming from.
However there seems to be no play in the wheel.

Any suggestions to what this could be please ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
The droning noise, as we've discussed before, is almost certainly a wheel bearing coming to the end of its life.
There's no way we can duplicate the forces involved as the car turns, so any play may not be obvious by hand.
Scraping wise, there is a chance that the brake disc is just making contact with the backplate, ever so slightly so make sure it is well clear.
John :)

When you turn to the left you are loading up the right wheel bearings so as said, you need a new wheel bearing on that side.

Sponsored Links
Back