Meter for measuring when electric supply is on..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if there was some kind of meter/device available that can record at what times a power supply switches on and off. I'd like to time exactly when my mothers Eco7 supply switches on and off (almost impossible for me to tell as she's always out..) but I'm sure I'd find a use for it with other applications.

Does such a unit exist?

Also, is there such a thing as a clamp meter which totals power used over a time period? Much the same as those digital plug-in meters measure KW/h.

Many thanks all :)

Sponsored Links
I'd like to time exactly when my mothers Eco7 supply switches on and off (almost impossible for me to tell as she's always out..)
Is she in often enough to be able to look at a 24-hour plug-in timer?

I'd like to time exactly when my mothers Eco7 supply switches on and off (almost impossible for me to tell as she's always out..)
Is she in often enough to be able to look at a 24-hour plug-in timer?
Even if she was, those things are terribly inaccurate to read / set (assuming you mean a mechanical one) and besides, where would he plug it in thats only powered by Eco7? ;)

Sponsored Links
Woah, forgot all about this thread.

Hmmm, the 24-hour timer theory... How would that work then? :)

video camera focused on a lamp plugged into a E7 controlled socket.. ( set camera to display time code.)

:eek:

I have no E7 sockets, but I suppose I could run a tag from the immersion plate.

Hmmm I'm still trying to suss out a way to do this... Is there a voltmeter with serial output to a PC, for example? I could set up the VM to a Economy7 outlet, wire to a laptop, VNC in to the laptop and monitor when the VM reads 230v?

Gotta be better ways surely? LOL

If it is switched by a time clock then you can read the current time (or the time it is showing to be more precise)

If it is a teleswitch then you can usualy tell by reading the code (on a label) or calling the metering provider and asking.

It's a teleswitch. I've tried calling Southern Electric (the electric provider) but no go, maybe they didn't provide the meter but I've no idea who has. I'll try and grab the code later. Is it easy enough to work out from the code, or should I pass it on to you? ;)

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back