Meter move - is it writ in stone that homeowner needs his/her own electrician on the day?

Sponsored Links
Standard Part P sword of Damocles harum scarum. Yawn.

Nope. Sorry no prize. This is not part p notifiable. As previously stated this is beyond the remit of DIY whether you ‘can connect three wires’ or not.

You have been given the advice whether it is what you want to hear or not. If you choose not to take it then get on with it and stop going on about it

Standard Part P sword of Damocles harum scarum. Yawn.
Yawn yerself.
Let’s take the Ze value that the DNO (should) give you.
Now compare it to the Ze value on the installation certificate. Is there a difference? How do You expect that to affect the other test results?
Anything to worry about? Nah the lights still come on, everything is just fine…

Your response is binary, mine is proportionate: where three wires are moved (not even extended) from an inside meter to an outside meter with an isolator.

Exactly how drastic (or negligible, lets stay in the realm of the plausible) is the before/after difference really going to be? In reality?

Your point is that relative values may be ever so ever so slightly different...you don't think that you're over egging it a wee tad?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Look at it this way. If you have a fire (not necessarily down to the tails being moved) and the cause is deemed to be electrical (fwiw I have seen electrical listed as cause where there was no other explanation reasonable) the paperwork you have no longer corresponds to the installation you have. You have no documentation for the connection to your ameneded supply. The insurance company would be within your rights to refuse to pay out.

Before you start this is not a binary response. I have been involved in the aftermath of a major fire, an electrical fault in a property I worked on. All the remains of the wiring was heavily scrutinised against paperwork I issued. Fortunately for me, the cause of the fire was down to some old degraded rubber cabling (which I had noted as being in poor condition on my certificate).

Still needs testing and documenting

That's a slightly different assertion to your earlier missive that I'm hog tied and will need an electrician in with a yes/no call on the day, if I want the relocation to go ahead, that wasn't ever going to fly.

I might be ok with getting it tested (after checking to see if it needs it) now that the electrician isn't pivotal to actually having the relocation done: I have a room with new sockets, lighting taken on from existing etc that will need signing off. Obviously I chased the back boxes in and ran the cables in and clips, capped the drops etc. The 240v tails are ready and waiting up inside the cu but aren't connected, whichever employee the homeowner (foreman) employs can test anything else outstanding, in my own good time, obvs.

Last edited:
An electrician cannot "sign off" work that he did not design or see installed.

I always take comprehensive photos of any diy that I do, I hate not knowing what's out of sight. Plenty good enough for an electrician that recognises the benefits of a proportionate response, electricians with a chapter and verse chip will be weeded out by the homeowner foreman.

Last edited:
chapter and verse advocate gets short shrift from homeowner (foreman).

I think it’s pretty clear from your attitude your previous electrician won’t be returning and I don’t blame him.

However, whilst you may be paying someone to do the work you are the customer, not the foreman. To be the foreman, by definition, you would have to be qualified in the work you are overseeing

I think it’s pretty clear from your attitude your previous electrician won’t be returning and I don’t blame him.

However, whilst you may be paying someone to do the work you are the customer, not the foreman. To be the foreman, by definition, you would have to be qualified in the work you are overseeing

The domestic contractor would be mistaken to think that the benefits of becoming self-employed include automatic promotion to site foreman, an often encountered trait that is actually the underlying subject of this thread.

The domestic contractor would be mistaken to think that the benefits of becoming self-employed include automatic promotion to site foreman, an often encountered trait that is actually the underlying subject of this thread.

What are you on about? Who has said anything about a self employed electrician being foreman. It is YOU who is calling themselves a foreman.

However employing the services of a self employed electrician would require them to have the knowledge, skills, qualification and experience to deal with the simple things you are asking about here. That does not not make them a foreman

Please get
1) a dictionary
2) a grip

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back