Meter move - is it writ in stone that homeowner needs his/her own electrician on the day?

Sponsored Links
WP didn't require you to provide an electrian on site to connect tails to isolator?

WP are saying to me that..

"No homeowner's qualified electrician present on the day to connect tails to isolator = no WP meter relocation works undertaken...period"

I’m not really sure what you want to hear but if that is what they have got in Black and white then that is what you must do. They have told you the alternative

FWIW, there is a difference between you being able to connect the the tails and it being safe, correctly done and tested/certified. Just because it works doesn’t make it safe

Sponsored Links
You have two choices.

Either do it the way they want, and have the work done in a timely and orderly fashion.
Or waste days/weeks/months arguing over things, and when you are tired of that, have to do exactly what they requested in the first place.

In the contract it says re the works that 'Customer to dig trench and reinstate afterwards. Customer to arrange electrician to connect tail to isolator'.
It's too late to argue over what you have already agreed to and paid for.
While it may not say on the same day - they now are fully aware you intend to DIY it, so now will stick to the exact requirements 100% whether you like it or not.

Why does this have to be an issue? Clearly you have your own agenda here, and you don’t really want our advice, as we’ve told you what you already know!

You will probably learn the hard way that utility companies have rules and you can’t get round them! If that’s what they want it’s what you’ll have to provide.

It's not that the brits do customer service badly, they don't do customer service at all.

The Americans ( in general ) give mechanical and often insincere customer service to all customers, including those customers who do not deserve it.....

Another quick inspection, from inside the house this time, no problems whatsoever, tails long enough to go straight in to new isolator, CU ok. Going ahead a week Tuesday. Apparently the requirement for a homeowner's electrician to be present on the relocation day isn't writ in granite...after all.

The 1st contact (ratedpeople) actually chanced a £100 pre-job invoice (just a preliminary, to get the job booked in the diary). Call out including half an hr, plus an hr I think. Including terms & conditions, just in case.

Imagine how I would have felt if I'd paid it!

But I didn't.

Last edited:
Yes but this work is really beyond the remit of someone who is non qualified. Do you have the tools necessary to test once the supply is connected, earth loop impedance, polarity etc. It is more than a case of connecting three wires.

Are you referring to the three "wires" that are presently in use? The ones that don't need extending to reach the revised cab position? The ones that were signed off with rest of the house fairly recently? Those 3 wires?

Last edited:
£100 pre-job invoice (just a preliminary, to get the job booked in the diary). Call out including half an hr, plus an hr I think.
Doesn't sound unreasonable. There are plenty of time-wasters who cancel at the last minute making it impossible to fill a slot.

Doesn't sound unreasonable. There are plenty of time-wasters who cancel at the last minute making it impossible to fill a slot.

And even better if the service is paid for but was never required in the 1st place!

You never know, send the pre invoice out..

Last edited:
Rated People

Yes, usually rated by wife, mother, best mate and also Rated People themselves who will rate you once you have paid to be "rated".

Are you referring to the three "wires" that are presently in use? The ones that don't need extending to reach the revised cab position? The ones that were signed off with rest of the house fairly recently? Those 3 wires?

Yes, those ones! As you will be reterminating them, you risk voiding any paperwork that you have for your signed off installation. As it would not be in the condition the electrician left it in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back