Meter with two consumer-side connections

Have you checked the earthing is adequate and in place ?

It is in place; the earth is bonded to the supply's metal pipe/armour that comes up from the ground at the bottom of my picture. There is a second earth connection in the outbuildings (sort of built onto the side of the house) where the mains water pipe comes in, from that to the metal conduits and metal socket boxes used in the outbuildings. One of the radials from the CU goes out there.

As to adequate... That's something I do not know how to determine (yet) other than the most basic continuity.

Sponsored Links
There is a second earth connection in the outbuildings (sort of built onto the side of the house) where the mains water pipe comes in

That's bonding, not earthing. (It might have been earthing at the time it was installed, but it's no longer permitted to use water pipes for earthing because if the widespread use of plastic pipe).

Rubbish. The meter measures watts and needs to know current, voltage, and phase angle. How can it determine voltage without a neutral connection?

It has a neutral connection. You really don't have the first clue what you're on about do you.

It has a neutral connection. You really don't have the first clue what you're on about do you.
To be fair, I think winston was making the same point as you - it was wundaboy whose somewhat confusing wording led to the suggestion that the neutral was not involved in the meter's power measurement (and I think it was that which winston was challenging). However, winston's wording was also rather less-than-ideal. It would have be better if he had written "The meter measures watts ..... How could [rather than "can"] it determine voltage without a neutral connection?".

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
What wunderboy wrote was correct. It was only when winston quoted part of his post completely out of context that he confused him self.

What wunderboy wrote was correct. It was only when winston quoted part of his post completely out of context that he confused him self.
If what he wrote was 'correct', he worded it very badly ....
... The meter doesn't use the neutral to measure energy consumption, but it does need it to function, same as any appliance.
I would say that, as written, the bit I have emboldened is simply not correct. As winston tried to point out (again with rather confusing wording), a neutral is very much needed to properly measure (rather than just guestimate) power/energy. I imagine that what wundaboy meant was that the meter does not measure current in the neutral (hence no need for the neutral current to 'go through' the meter) - but that's not what he wrote.

It's rare for me to find myself defending winston, but I don't think it was fair to suggest that he "didn't have a clue" in this particular case - I believe that his only fault was in not expressing himself clearly.

Kind Regards, John

Wow that's a cool fuseboard! Never seen one like that before! I'd be happy to take it off of your hands...!

HOW DARE YOU BE SO RUDE TO SAY I DON'T HAVE A CLUE.

How can you measure power without a neutral connection to measure the voltage? You cannot assume it like those stupid clip on energy monitors do. You are the one who does not have a clue. Merry Xmas and in future engage brain before posting.

Last edited:
Wow that's a cool fuseboard! Never seen one like that before! I'd be happy to take it off of your hands...!
Geek! I'm sure he'll let you have it.....if you go put a new one in for free!

LOL - yeah, what Iggifer said!

I have to agree about old kit being cool. It's not long ago that I finally let go of my old AVO valve tester (the big, black bakelite one) and Frankenstein-style open knife switches. Not to mention the racks of hand-made core storage... just don't have room for them any more and the loft was in danger of falling through with the weight.

I'm probably going to back-shelf the new CU job etc. for now (Unless Echo the husky does want to do a deal for a new one ;) ) The wiring itself, while clearly not done to current standards, isn't bad enough to be dangerous in itself. The inside of that fuse box makes me a little nervous although nothing is actually wrong with it. I pulled the paxolin cover off (it just lifts off from around the fuses) and took a peek at the internals.It's just... sort-of very basic.

When necessary I'll try to get an isolator switch fitted so I can at least rearrange the shower circuit.

@Echo the husky, if you really do want the old set, I'll try to remember to keep you in mind when it eventually gets replaced.

How can it determine voltage without a neutral connection?
I think what was meant was that the neutral doesn't have to pass through the meter as it only needs a current coil in one line - but it does need "a" neutral connection.

But the neutral connection always does pass through the meter. If it didn't fraud would be too easy. Just disconnect the neutral. A poor neutral connection would have the same effect of reducing the reading and would go unnoticed.

It's quite common for repositioned meters (such as those lowered for health and safety reasons) to have only one neutral connection. The other terminal being fitted with a golf tee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back