MICC cable

What I meant was are the pots the same external size for a range of cable sizes?

Obviously not any size cable, but for example 2L1.0/2L1.5/2L2.5.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the pots are all the same external diameter.
Afaik it is only when you jump up to a 25mm gland that the pot size increases.

OK - thanks.

At what cable size do you need to go to 25mm?

And what's this used for?:

3179_12.JPG

Just another post to say what an excellent guide that was from RF.
By reading a number of posts lately it seems like the standards in the colleges are not what they were. When I was at college the lecturers were a good mix of boffins and ex professional sparks. The guy who taught me to do pyro was particulary good and wouldn't pass anyone unless they'd nailed it.
Through my career I had done very little pyro, just the odd repair or extending circuits, until a couple of years ago when we had a whole block of buildings to do in pyro. My first couple of ends were a bit ropey but then I got straight back into it and I've got to say it was one of the most enjoyable jobs I have ever done.
If you're taught right at the start, you keep doing it right.

Sponsored Links
Potting tool / pot wrench ...

You don't *need* it, and it seems RF doesn't use one... but to get the pot on the cable, instead of just screwing it on with pliers or grips, in order to make it easier to get onm and get on squarely, you can ise one of those, you have the gland on the cable, sit the pot on, then screw the gland into the tool, the pot is then locked against the tool and gland and you then screw the whole lot onto the cable using the handles, you then unscrew the gland from the tool, leaving the pot on the cable.

RF thats a superb guide, as it will probably be put in the wiki for posterity(where it deserves to be) I feel I should point out one minor error.

Stage 6, the compound should always be pushed in from one side only.

:oops:

why one side only? and wouldn't that force the strands to one side of the pot?
filling from both sides would keep the strands central..?

Apparently to prevent any air getting trapped in the pot.

I was always taught to fill from both sides, but the pyrotenax guide also says fill from one side only, so it would seem that this is the correct method.

Lovely lovely pyro, I did a full rewire job at a grade 1 listed place a few years ago now and it was all pyro, huge big galv boxes in the attic's full of 10; 20; 30 pyro's going to different room for lighting etc, ball ache to put in but clipped and dressed in properly looks the bees knees far far better than fp200 carp.
Anyone ever done the high temp seals ? the ones with silica sand which you then heat up with a blow lamp ? they are fun to do until ya burn yersen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back