mindless vandalism

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
time for a rant.

about 3 months ago, Doncaster Council (or some subby) installed some i-terminals around the borough. These consist of a small printer, touch screen, webcam, speakers. Its basically an info system where you can send video mail and find out about whats goin on around town. Here's the main problem i can see: it is encased in a shiny steel and GLASS structure at the roadside, the glass being supported by 2 steel struts, suspended either side of the main steel column. No useful function, just decoration.

For 2 months the one outside the local co-op late shop has fared quite well, despite being out of order several times. The other day, i drove past. Someone has kicked the hell out of it and there's glass everywhere. Yesterday i drove past. They have gone a bit further now and battered the screen and its glass hood, which is 7 feet in the air and would need some tool to smash it as it is out of reach. Drove past today, and they have also battered the small black box next to it, which contains the DNO and BT connection points (it is labelled as such)

Here is my theory: the people who did this have had their fun with it, sending emails and the like, the novelty has worn off . . . so they destroy it.

This makes me so f***ing angry i could scream. How much will it cost to repair this machine and the DNO box? £4k? probably more? Theres a big glass bus stop right next to it too, which has been smashed up godknows how many times. Who pays for all this? yup, thee and me. Taxpayers. Instead of spending money on lavish decoration (glass and structural steel etc) this should be spent on reinforcement (iron casing and 2 inch thick glass screen etc). No doubt it will just get repaired ready for another battering, ready for us to fork out to repair it again, but thats life. I hope the webcam caught them in the act doing it, then send the repair bill straight to them. Mindless t**ts. I hope someone comes and smashes all their windows. This sort of thing shouldnt be tolerated.

And i think i have to lay some blame on the council here because it was they who chose the easily-vandalised design, and it was they who neglected to put the thing in the view of a fixed camera. Its not even in the view of the windows at the co-op. I dont know why they bothered. They might as well have put up a big piece of toughened glass at the roadside and put a sign next to it saying "give it your best!"

rant over.

Sponsored Links
What's the point of having a camera? It'll only show some thug in a hood doing the job. Get the bobby back on the beat.

joe

Quite right - all thugs wear hoods and all hood-wearers are thugs.

Just like saying that all jumped-up estate agents are idiots.

Softus said:
Quite right - all thugs wear hoods and all hood-wearers are thugs.

Bring the army back and put them on the street for 3 months and do house to house searches etc and then watch the scum run

Sponsored Links
If the police took more interest in doing their job properly, I'm fed up with them saying to me there's nothing they can do about it or here's a form to fill out knowing darn well nothing will happen.

kendor said:
If the police took more interest in doing their job properly, I'm fed up with them saying to me there's nothing they can do about it or here's a form to fill out knowing darn well nothing will happen.
kendor, what's happened? You used to make some sense - this is utter w**k.

Freddie said:
Softus said:

Bring the army back and put them on the street for 3 months and do house to house searches etc and then watch the scum run

Bit extreme for estate agents isn't it?

Softus said:
kendor said:
In what way softus? I'm talking from my experiences of them helping me when i needed them to, I've got to the point where i don't bother even going to the police anymore as it's just a total waste of my time having to queue up knowing i'll just hear the same old statement " i'm sorry but there's little we can do about it, but fill in this form and we'll keep it on file" big deal thanks a lot!

petewood said:

Yeees. Moreover, they wouldn't run - they'd try to find you suitable residence-with-a-garaaage where you could park that armoured vehicle...

petewood said:
Freddie said:
Softus said:

Not really Pete i strongly suggest a bit of kicking by the SAS would sort that crowd out, soon get the truth out of em !!!!

kendor said:
Softus said:
In what way softus? I'm talking from my experiences of them helping me when i needed them to, I've got to the point where i don't bother even going to the police anymore as it's just a total waste of my time having to queue up knowing i'll just hear the same old statement " i'm sorry but there's little we can do about it, but fill in this form and we'll keep it on file" big deal thanks a lot!
This is what I'm referring to:

kendor said:
"If the police took more interest in doing their job properly"
This generalisation of yours is as extreme as any of Slogger's, joe's or Freddie's that I've read! Patently it's nonsense, and the particular kind of nonsense that you generally criticise. You've lost the plot I feel.

If you don't bother going to the police when you should, then you have no right to expect any law and order. Getting the wrong outcome from doing the right thing is no reason not to keep doing the right thing. Have the courage of your convictions man!

Softus said:
kendor said:
Softus said:
This is what I'm referring to:

kendor said:
"If the police took more interest in doing their job properly"
This generalisation of yours is as extreme as any of Slogger's, joe's or Freddie's that I've read! Patently it's nonsense, and the particular kind of nonsense that you generally criticise. You've lost the plot I feel.

If you don't bother going to the police when you should, then you have no right to expect any law and order. Getting the wrong outcome from doing the right thing is no reason not to keep doing the right thing. Have the courage of your convictions man!
But it's not a generalisation when you are talking from experience and if you had read my post you would have seen me saying so.

kendor said:
But it's not a generalisation when you are talking from experience and if you had read my post you would have seen me saying so.

kendor said:
If the police took more interest in doing their job properly...

Not a generalisation? Not a f***ing generalation!! Maybe you mean that you were referring to just those policeman and women within your sphere of experience? Perhaps it was just one of those things that was obvious to you and not to anyone else?

How do you think it makes the police feel when they read what you've written? Do you even think about that? Do you think about the good ones, and the ones that you haven't ever met? Do you kendor?

Softus said:
kendor said:

kendor said:
If the police took more interest in doing their job properly...

Not a generalisation? Not a f***ing generalation!! Maybe you mean that you were referring to just those policeman and women within your sphere of experience? Perhaps it was just one of those things that was obvious to you and not to anyone else?

How do you think it makes the police feel when they read what you've written? Do you even think about that? Do you think about the good ones, and the ones that you haven't ever met? Do you kendor?
so what do i do instead of saying police i have to say policeman 71294/6 and 234/453 or 1840/345 do me a favour softus. as i said before i'll say again when ever i have gone to the police i 've had no joy from them and i'm sure im not an isolated case, how many others have had property damaged or stolen and reported it to the police only to find complete apathy from them?

Softus, your on a no win argument here. It is established fact, that as far as "minor" crime is concerned, police are just a data collection agency. if you are murdered, or robbed of a sum over a million squids, they may send in the cid.

As far as house breaking, car theft, mugging and just about any other crime that us mere mortals are likely to suffer from, all the police do is keep it on file. Just because it's a generalisation doesn't make it false. Birds have feathers, mamals have tits, snakes are cold blooded, Police do not investigate "minor" crimes. All of these are generalisations. All are, also, 100% accurate.

With one exception. If you are the legal owner of a motor vehicle exceding the speed limit, you will be fined. If you nicked the car, though, no problem.

Sponsored Links
Back