Miners Strike

Miners all go on about Thatcher, it was Scargill who got them sh#t on .
If he had realised the industry had to be run as a business and make a profit instead of using it as his own personall tool to try and bring down a democratically elected government for his own reasons we might still have had a mining industry.
Simple he got his ar5e kicked by an old woman.
Also it was there to see when he openly lied at the strike ballot show of hands only about a third put there hands up to strike.
So thank Scargill for the demise not thatcher and mcgregor

Sponsored Links
I sort of agree, but it depends on how you define profit, for instance does the post office and the NHS have to make a "profit" if so, why so?

have to disagree there, its a governments responsibility to support british industry not allow dirt cheap imports to flood the british market and then when it cant compete sell off all the backup industries so it cant be rebuilt at a later date.
very much Thatchers fault!

Governments have a lot of responsibilities but supporting or subsidising ailing industries brough to their knees by militant unions shouldn't be one of them.
Maggie hit em where it hurt thats for sure. If only we had leaders like her in power today.

Sponsored Links
but it was an ailing industry because of cheap imports of coal coming in from abroad, other countries have successfully clamped down on imports why cant we?

Didn't the cheap imports come in from Poland or some other communist country at the time.We kept their econimies going (at the some would argue the expense of ours)now we are subsidising them because they are part of the EU.Is it not time some party stood up and said sod europe sod climate change we are going to spend what it takes to get the pits up and running and what ever else needs doing to get this country on its feet again.I shall now come back to planet earth and take a dose of reality.

An honourable idea, unfortunately too late now to implement :(

Idoes the post office and the NHS have to make a "profit"
The Royal Mail does, because it's a business.

The NHS doesn't, because it's subsidised, but it does have a budget, just like a business does.

Surely you knew these answers before asking the questions? :confused:

Sorry, I should have been more generic, the postal service why does it need to make a profit?

It probably is but it should be a service, i.e. not for profit.
It is certainly a business, i.e. not probably.

I don't understand what you think a "service" is, and I don't understand why you want the postal service to be non profit-making.

Doesn't it have all the attributes of a profit-making business? These are:

1. Products.
2. A market.
3. Customers.
4. Suppliers.
5. Employees.
6. Premises.
7. Overheads and fixed costs.
8. Variable costs.
9. Competitors.
10. The need for investment in equipment, infrastructure, and growth.

Which of these do you think should be state-funded?

Sponsored Links
Back