Mini power outages with a twist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a lot to take in here ladies and gents so for the sake of your own sanity, don't read this unless you really fancy a challenge!

I live in a flat above a shop and for a few years, the power supply has been a bit dodgy in that I have sometimes woken to find all the clocks have been reset.

In the past 4 months it's got worse and something very strange is happening. Every morning for the past 2 weeks, I have woken to find that the remote controlled lights in the lounge are ON and my pc has restarted. The remote control switch in the bedroom turned the lights on the other night 3 times and has now stopped working altogether.

3 days ago the whole place died and I had to call the LEB who replaced the fuse in the road which has blown about 4 times this year.

That's the 'effect' taken care of and now for some 'supporting information'...

The shop downstairs is a bookies - tvs, games machines, air con etc.

They have a three phase supply and only lose their air con and some lights when power dies.

The other night I was working on the pc very late - so no one in the shop as far as I know. Suddenly, there was an arcing sound from the shop below my feet and the lights went haywire and stayed on. When I say arcing sound I mean arcing! Like my flippin welder - for about 2 seconds.

Upon further investigation, I found that in the shop, directly underneath my desk is the ceiling-mounted air con unit. I suspect that this may be responsible for the sound but not certain BUT what on earth is causing the power to drop out for a micro blip and leave the lights on?

It just happened again this morning - lights on, pc restarted but no noises.

What is going on? and can I insist that the LEB test the shop's air con if I believe that there is a risk of fire? - which I DO!

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
ok, the lights and clocks could be disturbed by spikes in the supply, which could be caused by phase to phase arcs / contacts, which could blow the fuse in the road. I would tell the manager of the bookies about the sound, and tell him you believe there to be a fire risk. Also, ask if he would be so kind as to look above the suspended ceiling (if this is what they have) near the air con and see if there is any browning or scorch marks near the unit.

Having said all this, phase to phase arcs should take out a breaker, unless said breaker has overheated and welded shut. Then it would take out the shop's 3 main fuses.

When the power goes off, it sounds like only one phase is losing power, so the bookies only looses part of the supply (the air con runs on all 3, and needs all 3 to work, so it shuts off). Lights are usually spread over all 3 phases for safety in case one phase dies (as is the case here)

If there is a sound of arcing thin this screams that there is a loose / corroded joint. This would not necesarily cause the breaker to trip, and could quite easily cause the spikes. The DNO fuse that keeps blowing, this could be coincidence or another symptom, but the arcing is priority to get sorted.

The REC will not test the installation, the landlord or the bookies are responsible for the 'consumers' side of the installation.

Whatever the problem turns out to be, it needs sorting very urgently, as there could be a real risk of fire., and it unlikely the problem will go away, It will get worse.
(Don't mean to frighten you but this needs sorting)

Thank you both for your replies.

The manager of the bookies is no help so I'll get in touch with head office tomorrow.

Now it won't be the lights coming on that keeps me awake - it will be the fear of fire!

I'll post an update when I have news.

Sponsored Links
And maybe get an exorcist just to be on the safe side... :LOL:

and another grave dug up...

please read the dates on the posts you search for.. this is 17 MONTHS out of date... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back