Minidue is leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased this water softener device in 2018 and noticed that it has developed a leak.
upload_2021-4-15_13-0-28.png

The leak can be seen in this image
upload_2021-4-15_13-0-59.png

It's difficult to know for sure, but I think its seeping through the joint of the plastic and brass.

Can someone please advise. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The leak was in the suspected area.
I have been in discussions with the manufacturer and they advised that I open up the assembly, apply silicone grease around the rubber O Ring and put together. After doing this, the leak has stopped. This has now been the case for over 24 hours.

However, when I opened the assembly, I noticed the following:
upload_2021-4-19_8-35-19.png

upload_2021-4-19_8-35-39.png

If you look at the bottom part of the round opening, it seems damaged and that's where the water was seeping out of (I suppose it is the lowest point...). Here is a picture of the other section of the assembly:

upload_2021-4-19_8-36-53.png

After seeing that damage, I didn't expect this to resolve the issue but am pleasantly surprised. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Secondly, I have never used silicone grease prior to now and wondering where else this can be used? I am often doing bits and pieces with plumbing and electrics.

Thanks again.

A few months on and this is dripping from the same place again.
In the meantime, the manufacturer kindly sent me a new unit - despite this being out of warranty. This was of course very nice of them!

I fitted it yesterday and used the fibre washers that were provided (I noticed that the same washers were used in the previous assembly too). Additionally, I applied some water compound on the thread. I tighten this nut to the degree I would with a compression joint i.e. didn't go berserk but it was firm.

Today I noticed a slight leak on both of these joins.

upload_2021-9-12_11-54-38.png

upload_2021-9-12_11-54-55.png

upload_2021-9-12_11-55-12.png

Note that I only removed this large nut when replacing the unit and the leak definitely appears to be seeping out of these same nuts

My instinct is to tighten them again after stopping the water supply but would appreciate your advice please.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
The jointing compound on those threads is doing precisely nothing, as it's not the thread that forms the seal. I'd be turning the supply off, dropping the pressure out of the system, then taking the unit out to replace the washers. Might be OK to just nip them up but new washers are always a good idea once there's been a leak

The jointing compound on those threads is doing precisely nothing, as it's not the thread that forms the seal. I'd be turning the supply off, dropping the pressure out of the system, then taking the unit out to replace the washers. Might be OK to just nip them up but new washers are always a good idea once there's been a leak
The washers I’ve put in are brand new. I was making the point that they are the same type of washer as was used previously

Can I please have some more guidance with this please:
- will the newly inserted washers be okay?
- once I have drained water from this section of pipes, is it just a case of holding the minidue body by hand and nipping the nuts a bit tighter? I don't think I need to be holding any of the other nuts whilst tightening the nuts in questions.

Thanks again.

Can I please have some more guidance with this please:
- will the newly inserted washers be okay?
- once I have drained water from this section of pipes, is it just a case of holding the minidue body by hand and nipping the nuts a bit tighter? I don't think I need to be holding any of the other nuts whilst tightening the nuts in questions.

Thanks again.

As Muggles said above - The joint compound on those threads is doing nothing at all, though it may be be preventing you from getting a proper seal - maybe tightening on the threads, rather than forcing the fitting faces together. The actual seal is between the faces of the fittings and there should be a soft washer between the faces.

Turn the supply off, drain down, undo the fittings and remove the sealant. Check if the washers are undamaged, if not replace, then reassemble.

UPDATE: Nipping up the nuts didn't work (after isolating water). I then - as per your advice - pulled it apart, cleaned the compound off and put it together with existing washers. I think they were still okay.
upload_2021-9-20_10-27-1.png

upload_2021-9-20_10-27-21.png

This has resolved the issue and thanks for your advice on this.

However, in the process, I must have loosened this guy which is now dripping:

upload_2021-9-20_10-29-54.png

I tried tightening it up whilst holding the nut above it but to no avail. I think it has hemp on the thread currently. Can I please have some further advice.
Thanks again.

Can I please have some pointers on this. It’s currently leaking from this join.
41CDDFFD-6D58-40FB-80CA-A5E8D92B4C3C.jpeg

It’s got some thready stuff on the join.

I have PTFE and Water Compound in my tool box. Do I need to undo and re-wrap and nip up?

Also, where should the second wrench be when I tighten this please?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• CC98A0D8-6254-4F0B-A0E2-91AABB98C3CA.jpeg
    CC98A0D8-6254-4F0B-A0E2-91AABB98C3CA.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 52
The washers I’ve put in are brand new. I was making the point that they are the same type of washer as was used previously

On taper threads, the seal is made along the threads with some sealant, but these are parallel threads - where the seal point is on a flat face, using a soft washer, often fibre. Don't apply anything to the threads, or it will prevent a proper seal at the face.

On taper threads, the seal is made along the threads with some sealant, but these are parallel threads - where the seal point is on a flat face, using a soft washer, often fibre. Don't apply anything to the threads, or it will prevent a proper seal at the face.
This part of the puzzle is solved - thanks to this and the same advice I received from others.

It’s now leaking at a different joint and that’s what I described in the last two posts.

I would welcome your thoughts.

Last edited:
I am really struggling with this and would appreciate your advice please. I am at a loss as to how this fitting is tightened. I can’t see where the second grip goes when I am loosening/tightening this nut

Either use narrow grips or remove the fitting...you might find the inner bore is formed to allow a hex key to be inserted...like a radiator tail fitting.

I think you are on to something there. Will take some pics of the fitting and send through. There is some detail internally.

I just can’t see how I grip on to the round bit whilst I a tightening the nut. It keeps slipping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back