Minidue is leaking

the spud key will work, unless the fitting is seized. Something similar is often found in old radiator tails.

I don't like them, and would prefer to use a fitting that an ordinary spanner will fit. I suppose, on assembly, you could put PTFE tape on the threads, AFAIK it will prevent future seizing, as well as (where the thread is the seal) improving the water seal.

BTW your "softener" appears to bve a polyphosphate dosing device, you fill it will a chemical that slowly dissolves into the water and I believe makes soaps work bettter. Some washing powders contain (contained?) phosphates which can cause biological imbalance in waterways. The tech is well known and various devices are available, including a mesh bag you can hang in the cold-water tank, if you have one.

A proper ion-exchange water softener (regenerated using salt) does actually soften the water, and is much better.

Sponsored Links
the spud key will work, unless the fitting is seized. Something similar is often found in old radiator tails.

I don't like them, and would prefer to use a fitting that an ordinary spanner will fit. I suppose, on assembly, you could put PTFE tape on the threads, AFAIK it will prevent future seizing, as well as (where the thread is the seal) improving the water seal.

BTW your "softener" appears to bve a polyphosphate dosing device, you fill it will a chemical that slowly dissolves into the water and I believe makes soaps work bettter. Some washing powders contain (contained?) phosphates which can cause biological imbalance in waterways. The tech is well known and various devices are available, including a mesh bag you can hang in the cold-water tank, if you have one.

A proper ion-exchange water softener (regenerated using salt) does actually soften the water, and is much better.

I've been using this device for a few years now and I think it is making a difference. I don't think it's as affective as a water softener but worth having I feel. Thanks for your help.

btw, used with a ratchet handle, the force on the key is not mechanically correct. If it is really tight, a T-handle will drive it straight.

btw, used with a ratchet handle, the force on the key is not mechanically correct. If it is really tight, a T-handle will drive it straight.
Sorry John, can you expand on this please. I don't follow.

Sponsored Links
this is more often a problem if trying to undo one when the radiator is bracketed to the wall, and is very tight or seized, but it always applies.

the pulling force on the ratchet handle is not perpendicular to the axis of rotation (if I have the words right), as you have your hand on the lever, it is trying to pull the nut sideways, so is liable to slip off or bend it.

With a T-handle, and two hands, you can apply a rotational force staight down the axis of the nut, bolt or fitting.

How many wraps of PTFE tape do you guys recommend for this fitting and also, how tight should I be going with this?

If the spud key in the first pic has grooves then indeed it should work.
Although some plumbing threads are tapered most are parallel so you should wind the tape to form a taper ie. as you screw the fitting on it gets progressively tighter due to more turns of tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back