Attachments

• 705357DD-D0E1-41D9-A035-62CB5A373BAF.jpeg
    705357DD-D0E1-41D9-A035-62CB5A373BAF.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 57
  • CA8B799A-16FE-4FD6-8F37-5010A1C5760C.jpeg
    CA8B799A-16FE-4FD6-8F37-5010A1C5760C.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
Whoa there Harry...the issue is how to hold the flat faced union whilst you remake the threaded connection.

Google image "spud key" and you'll see various keys with slots down the sides.

Sponsored Links
Whoa there Harry...the issue is how to hold the flat faced union whilst you remake the threaded connection.

Google image "spud key" and you'll see various keys with slots down the sides.

do I need to buy a ratchet for this method or can it be done with two adjustables that I currently own?

i would also be interested
Does the contraption actually work?
We have hardwater, and now having just finished all the bathroom/en-suite & Kitchen in 2019 which is the main water into the house , otherhalf is wanting a water softener - Grrrr - i mentioned it before we started.

That looks like something i could fit behind the corner cabinet where the water enters - if it can also be used as drinking water

i would also be interested
We have hardwater, and now having just finished all the bathroom/en-suite & Kitchen in 2019 which is the main water into the house , otherhalf is wanting a water softener - Grrrr - i mentioned it before we started.

That looks like something i could fit behind the corner cabinet where the water enters - if it can also be used as drinking water

It's definitely not as effective as a water softener but I wasn't expecting that. It's safe to use on drinking water and has served me well. I've had the plumber comment on how clean my dishwasher and boiler are internally and I put that done to this. It does create some build up on the shower door and around the taps but can be easily wiped off.

I have never had a water softener so difficult to compare but I've thought it's good enough to continue using. I have had this in place for a few years now. Hope that helps.

Is the Spud key and a ratchet my only option for these fittings? I don’t own either and wanted to check if there was an alternative approach.

Placed an order for these two and hoping to fix this over the weekend.
upload_2021-12-14_8-31-54.png

upload_2021-12-14_8-32-41.png

But that's just a plain hex key...yoyr picture showed a circular hole with 2 lugs...so you need a corresponding key.
Personally I'd never have that scale inhibitor in my house...it's looks like it's got every chance of failure and flooding.
Proper water softeners are very expensive for a reason..they actually work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back