Minimum floor plan --- Toilet, Basin and Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm thinking of putting a shower, wash basin and toilet into a narrow space near to the front door hallway. Can anyone point me to some examples of plans and what are the minimum dimensions necessary. I know I won't be able to swing a cat but I don't want to bang my head on the sink whilst sitting on the toilet.

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Can we have a picture of the space and proximity of soil pipe?

Minimum width for a shower tray is the shower tray.

For the toilet, sit on your toilet, bend forward with a copy of your favourite paper in hand, get the Mrs to measure from the back of the cistern to the surface of your forehead. Add 100mm.

Sponsored Links
Using a wet room construction avoids the need for the constraints of a shower tray. The top sketch if the door is in the long side.

Or if the door is in the short side of the room then use a combined toilet and wash basin as a single item in the wet room at the end furthest from the door..

I don't think it matters if the shower sprays over the toilet seat in a wet room.

0x19.jpg

https://www.bathroomsupastore.com/two-in-one-combination-close-coupled-toilet-with-wash-basin

other suppiers are available and may be cheaper.

The en-suite in our second bedroom is 150cm x 140cm wall to wall; with no 'specially-for-small-spaces' items amongst the shower, basin and bog. The door opens outward. We built our house, and in the planning stage, thought we'd try to squeeze a small en-suite into the daughter's room. It's perfectly large enough.

Thanks for all the replies.
Just got back to this thread. Biggest problem is the toilet drainage. The soilpipe and drains are at the back of the property and would mean digging a tench into the concreted drive at the side to run from front to back. Next door have had to do this. The other option would be to install a waste disposer into a smaller bore pipe and run it alongside the building and disguise it somehow. I probably need to get an architect involved to discuss and cost various options.
I've just been looking at the toilet/wash basin combo as a space saver. Quite clever but where can you comfortably stand while washing your hands and how do you get at the cistern for any maintenance work?

Thanks

Mike

Avoid the macerator if you can- they're expensive, noisy and don't last forever. Getting under the concrete is no biggie with the correct tools- Stihl saw or 9" grinder with a diamond disc to cut out a neat section, dig, pipe, manhole if you need one & reconcrete.

Using a wet room construction avoids the need for the constraints of a shower tray. The top sketch if the door is in the long side.

Or if the door is in the short side of the room then use a combined toilet and wash basin as a single item in the wet room at the end furthest from the door..

I don't think it matters if the shower sprays over the toilet seat in a wet room.

View attachment 148068

https://www.bathroomsupastore.com/two-in-one-combination-close-coupled-toilet-with-wash-basin

other suppiers are available and may be cheaper.
I did some research on these but didnt fancy the idea that the sink drains into the cistern to form part of the flush water which is a bit orible if one cleans ones teeth in the sink. Some are cold water only to the tap.
Our onsuite is only 90cm wide

If space is really tight, then there will be a compromise or two somewhere, so I think it depends on what the main objective of the improvement is as to where you'll accept the compromises. Are you looking for a good shower as you only have an over the bath one at the moment? Is the toilet just so there is one downstairs, but you'll probably be dropping the kids off upstairs? How narrow is the narrow space you've got, and how long? Can the door open outwards?

If the shower is the priority, you can probably go as narrow as 700mm (by 1000mm or even 1200mm if you've got the length). Normally I'd always aim for at least 750mm width for the loo, but if it's mostly a wee only zone then you can get by with 700mm. Also, if it really is just that, ie no morning shaves or teeth brushing down there, then the combined loo/basin aren't that bad if you are only washing you hands afterwards after a quick splash, especially if there is a normal basin in an upstairs bathroom.

If, however, it's to be a full on second bathroom, then you definitely need a separate basin, so you'd probably need to go 800mm wide (does mean that an 800mm square shower tray is an option, although a bit of a compromise imo as I always look to get at least to 1000mm along one side, but again, as I said, it's about priorities and compromise). That way you can have a door kinda in the middle of the long wall, shower one side, toilet the other, and a 200mm deep basin on the wall directly opposite the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back