Minimum Threshold Wage for Migrants".

B

Bodd

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales-politics-47603147

Prof Portes said there was a worry the UK would be "a less attractive destination for skilled European migrants when free movement ends"

Prof Portes' report calls for the Welsh Government and businesses to press for a lower threshold, claiming £20,000 would "mitigate modestly" the potential impact.

Less attractive?? Why would migrants find the UK unattractive if they can earn £30000 rather than £20000

I understand the Welsh point of view

Sponsored Links
I’m surprised they are campaigning for regional variations to minimum wage. Ultimately that is their argument.

I doubt there are many places in the UK where 20k makes you a net contributor to society from a tax vs benefits perspective.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales-politics-47603147

Prof Portes said there was a worry the UK would be "a less attractive destination for skilled European migrants when free movement ends"

Prof Portes' report calls for the Welsh Government and businesses to press for a lower threshold, claiming £20,000 would "mitigate modestly" the potential impact.

Less attractive?? Why would migrants find the UK unattractive if they can earn £30000 rather than £20000

I understand the Welsh point of view

£10 per hour is just under £20k.

It isnt that migrants would fin the UK unattractive, its that employers that would normally employ workers at or around the minimum wage, wont be able to get migrant workers if they arent allowed to come and work at that rate.

It would be very difficult to start paying fruit pickers, waitresses in coffee shops, hotel workers a wage of £30k a year which is £16/hr -it would casue huge inflation.

The whole thing about immigration restrictions is nonsense, there are a huge number of jobs that pay below £30k per year -many that have for many years been filled by foreign workers.

If you only allow workers coming here that will be on more than £30k per year, you will be restricting the work to skilled jobs.

Sponsored Links
More my point was it says that the UK will be less attractive to migrants at £30000. And more attractive at £20000.

Anybody want to earn more surley.

I don't think either of you (edit. Bodd and motorbiking) do understand the issue, despite claims that you do.

This has nothing to do with the minimum wage, absolutely nothing to do with it. It is related to the average earnings, and the lowest threshold that migrants must earn to qualify for a 5 year visa.
The minimum wage will be about £17,000 p.a. from next April. (40 hours, 52 weeks)

This issue is about the lowest threshold that migrant workers are allowed a 5 year visa to enter UK and work.

In the SE, the average wage is probably more than £30k. In Wales and other less affluent areas the average wage is considerably less than £30k.
Therefore, if these less affluent areas want to attract migrant workers, and some must do in order to survive, they have two choices:

1. Considerably increase the wages offered so that migrant workers meet the minimum threshold to qualify for a visa. This has obvious repercussions, increasing costs, and affecting the wages of the local workforce, not only in that industry. Such a massive difference in some wages will have far-reaching repercussions throughout the area, and maybe beyond.
2. Lobby government to lower the minimum threshold (that migrants wages must attain to qualify for a visa) for certain more impoverished areas, otherwise they will be unable to meet the costs/wages of migrant workers. Unwillingness of the government to lower the threshold would mean that the affected businesses, in that area, could not afford to employ migrant workers. There aren't sufficient local workers. The repercussions again would be obvious, far reaching and affect the economy nationally.​

Therefore, for businesses to employ migrant workers they must be prepared to pay something approaching twice the minimum wage.

I hope that goes some way to reducing the confusion.

Edit. I see notch does properly understand the issue.

I don't think either of you do understand the issue, despite claims that you do.

This has nothing to do with the minimum wage, absolutely nothing to do with it. It is related to the average earnings, and the lowest threshold that migrants must earn to qualify for a 5 year visa.
The minimum wage will be about £17,000 p.a. from next April. (40 hours, 52 weeks)

This issue is about the lowest threshold that migrant workers are allowed a 5 year visa to enter UK and work.

In the SE, the average wage is probably more than £30k. In Wales and other less affluent areas the average wage is considerably less than £30k.
Therefore, if these less affluent areas want to attract migrant workers, and some must do in order to survive, they have two choices:

1. Considerably increase the wages offered so that migrant workers meet the minimum threshold to qualify for a visa. This has obvious repercussions, increasing costs, and affecting the wages of the local workforce, not only in that industry. Such a massive difference in soem wages will have far-reaching repercussions throughout the area, and maybe beyond.
2. Lobby government to lower the minimum threshold (that migrants wages must attain to qualify for a visa) for certain more impoverished areas, otherwise they will be unable to meet the costs/wages of migrant workers. Unwillingness of the government to lower the threshold would mean that the affected businesses, in that area, could not afford to employ migrant workers. There aren't sufficient local workers. The repercussions again would be obvious, far reaching and affect the economy nationally.​

Therefore, for businesses to employ migrant workers they must be prepared to pay something approaching twice the minimum wage.

I hope that goes some way to reducing the confusion.

Edit. I see notch does properly understand the issue.

There it is in red for you...
I'm sure migrants will think the UK is very attractive if they can earn £30000
Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/minimum-wage-for-migrants.520053/#ixzz5iVoemVIA

I can't find this quote in the original article.
Have you invented it, or perhaps you can copy and paste the article, highlighting that specific quote.

I can't find this quote in the original article.
Have you invented it, or perhaps you can copy and paste the article, highlighting that specific quote.

Look harder It's not in red...
But there is a picture of the Professor.

There it is in red for you...
I'm sure migrants will think the UK is very attractive if they can earn £30000
no because they wont be able to earn £30k for a non skilled job -those jobs wont be available at that price point.

what it means is that only migrants with professional qualification will be able to come here and work. There are highly skilled foreign workers in banking, medicine, computer programming here.

What makes no sense though is that there is a huge demand for the lower end in the hospitality and agriculture sectors.

Look harder It's not in red...
But there is a picture of the Professor.
So you are taking issue with the BBC for a not totally accurate caption to a photo?
I suggest you take it up with the BBC rather than trying to create an issue here. It gives the impression that you are totally misunderstanding the issue.

The issue is setting an earnings threshold that means people will be net contributors to the economy.

Why would we want to import labour at a rate where it cost society more to look after them than they contribute?

There may well be a need for exceptions. But the principal should be a person makes a positive contribution to the economy.

The issue is setting an earnings threshold that means people will be net contributors to the economy.

Why would we want to import labour at a rate where it cost society more to look after them than they contribute?

There may well be a need for exceptions. But the principal should be a person makes a positive contribution to the economy.
So what do you do?
Examine every applicant, every job description, every scenario that the job is vacant?
A single migrant earning above the personal allowance (Min Wage £17,000, Pers Allowance £11,000) will be making a contribution in income tax at the very least. Not to mention their contribution to the economy, the knock-on effect of their spending etc.
Your argument is either fallacious, or it is based on the prejudicial concept that all migrants are a drain on the economy.

(Is it the first time that your ideas are based on your prejudicial attitudes?)

Cue the bigoted claims that migrants have many children, send all their money home, live in multi-occupancy unlicensed properties, etc.

A lot of immigrants send money home, a weak pound means they have less to send, that is one of the reasons a lot of EE's have gone home.
Also Poland now has much higher rates of pay as its economy and infrastructure have grown, so its not worth coming here or its better to return.

Sponsored Links
Back