Minimum Threshold Wage for Migrants".

no because they wont be able to earn £30k for a non skilled job -those jobs wont be available at that price point.

what it means is that only migrants with professional qualification will be able to come here and work. There are highly skilled foreign workers in banking, medicine, computer programming here.

What makes no sense though is that there is a huge demand for the lower end in the hospitality and agriculture sectors.

With rose tinted glasses and hearing what I wanted to hear I was told I could earn $60-$70 per hour in Australia.

The reality was so very diffrent.... This is what I'm getting at. If they think they can earn 30 grand it's alot more appealing than 20 grand. The reality is very diffrent.

Sponsored Links
So what do you do?
Examine every applicant, every job description, every scenario that the job is vacant?
A single migrant earning above the personal allowance (Min Wage £17,000, Pers Allowance £11,000) will be making a contribution in income tax at the very least. Not to mention their contribution to the economy, the knock-on effect of their spending etc.
Your argument is either fallacious, or it is based on the prejudicial concept that all migrants are a drain on the economy.

(Is it the first time that your ideas are based on your prejudicial attitudes?)

Cue the bigoted claims that migrants have many children, send all their money home, live in multi-occupancy unlicensed properties, etc.

Personal allowance is £11850, and will rise to £12500 for 2019/20 tax year. Migrant, or native, it matters not.

£17000 minus £11850 equals £5150, with tax payable on that at 20%. A gnat's over £1000 into the pot.

And National Insurance, of course, unless Brig is over retirement age.

Tax and NICs are on this handy calculator, which also shows where it goes.

https://euworthit.uk/?fbclid=IwAR0Tnd6JmxvhIxzOQfG0DYn9oEfhtAv4YVmDM4d2jW6qeRpo9N4nx5yWX-k

£17 000 gives tax and NICs of £2059

£410 of it goes on Health, £490 on welfare, £264 on pensions, and £247 on education. The EU contribution is £14.41. Defence is £109. Migrants get out less than they put in, and far less than the average UK citizen, so they make a very positive contribution.

Glad I was able to help and correct the previous misleading impression.

Sponsored Links
I thought that a law was in place for Non EU migrants seeking work in this Country was that they had ro earn £30K per year .

EU migrants( including UK Migrants seeking work in the EU ) were exempt due to freedom of movement

I thought that a law was in place for Non EU migrants seeking work in this Country was that they had ro earn £30K per year .

EU migrants( including UK Migrants seeking work in the EU ) were exempt due to freedom of movement
I think the non-EU threshold was for bringing in dependents.

BTW, Bodd, it might be clearer if you changed the title of the thread to "Minimum Threshold Wage for Migrants".

I wanted to hear I was told I could earn $60-$70 per hour in Australia

I expect you were also told all their women are stunning babes that cant keep their hands off pasty Engish plumbers :ROFLMAO:

I expect you were also told all their women are stunning babes that cant keep their hands off pasty Engish plumbers :ROFLMAO:

I found terminology a language barrier....
I got a clip around the ear when I asked one for a hand job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that was how I understood it, but I think the threshold has now been raised to £30k for sponsoring dependents.

A person earning £30,000 pays £6,219 in tax and NI.

I've just, out of interest, gone on MSE to see what benefits are available.

Presumed a couple of eligible EEA 25 yr olds, with a boy aged 4 and a girl aged 2.
Living in Staffs, band D council tax, £400 p/m rent.
50 hrs each of work, and £20k each in salary.

No carer's allowances, no disability allowances, no savings, nothing.

According to MSE website, this is the benefit entitlement:

upload_2019-3-19_9-17-5.png

£133 p/w is £6916 p/a.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/benefits-check/

Sponsored Links
Back