Minimum Threshold Wage for Migrants".

50 hrs each of work, and £20k each in salary.

that seems a very curious and unusual combination of circumstances.

I wonder why you chose something so improbable.

I notice you forgot to provide a link so we could try it out.

Sponsored Links
that seems a very curious and unusual combination of circumstances.

I wonder why you chose something so improbable.

I notice you forgot to provide a link so we could try it out.

I notice that you did not see the link I provided.

Please let me know why it is improbable (genuinely curious). Jason already said that minimum wage was £17k p.a. for 40 hours; my person experience of migrants (my wife once worked for a couple with two such kids, on whom the hypothetical circumstances were based) is that they work more than 40 hours p.w..

She worked in the NHS, him a warehouse worker.
Two kids, who my wife childminded.
The circumstances, while improbable to your mind, were in operation (albeit I was not privy to their salaries).

Personal allowance is £11850, and will rise to £12500 for 2019/20 tax year. Migrant, or native, it matters not.

£17000 minus £11850 equals £5150, with tax payable on that at 20%. A gnat's over £1000 into the pot.

Consumption drives the economy.

If you want to make it into a binary calculation into what you contribute to what you take then you can go live on your own island.

Sponsored Links

If you want to make it into a binary calculation into what you contribute to what you take then you can go live on your own island.

True, but this is only sustainable as long as the figures balance.
And, consumption can't / shouldn't be seen as infinite.

You mean 50 hours a week each, and earning £20k p.a. each? With two pre-school children? so they have full-time childcare.

What's the hourly rate?

Surely a young family like that is much more likely to be a British couple than an migrant family.

We've already established that the person's contribution, of tax and National Insurance, is double the figure Brig said.

True, but this is only sustainable as long as the figures balance.
And, consumption can't / shouldn't be seen as infinite.

Can you name me western countries not running a current account deficit. There are a few but not many.

It really depends on why the deficit occurred - not all deficits are bad or all debt is bad - most would agree it's better to be in debt and own your own home than to rent forever.

Not sure what you mean about the last line.

Incidentally, the couple Brig postulates, each earning £20k p.a., will between them be contributing £6040 to the public purse in tax and national Insurance.

You mean 50 hours a week each, and earning £20k p.a. each? With two pre-school children? so they have full-time childcare.

What's the hourly rate?

Surely a young family like that is much more likely to be a British couple than an migrant family.

Yes, about.
Yes; my wife looked after them.
I don't know exactly (my wife's business, not mine), but less than £4 p/h, per child. I guesstimated £100 p/w per child, but it's more than that.

Hence my post "Migrant, or native, it matters not."

Polish. I think their plan was to work here for a few years, then go back to Poland.
Lovely people.

Incidentally, the couple Brig postulates, each earning £20k p.a., will between them be contributing £6040 to the public purse in tax and national Insurance.

You've already posted similar, I'm not disputing that.

They are also entitled to take money back out.

At lower income levels, that exceeds what is paid in (which is a whole new situation, that full-time work doesn't always pay enough to live on).

Can you name me western countries not running a current account deficit. There are a few but not many.

It really depends on why the deficit occurred - not all deficits are bad or all debt is bad - most would agree it's better to be in debt and own your own home than to rent forever.

Not sure what you mean about the last line.

Agree

Agree

I saw some figures the other day; we are consuming Earth's resources at such a rate, we actually need 1.4 Earths to sustain it.
By 2050 (could even have been 2030?), this will rise to 2 Earths' worth.
This is neither sustainable, nor moral (IMHO).

Luckily we have prosperous multinationals like Amazon, Ebay, Google, Facebook, IBM, Microsoft and Virgin; and billionaires like Philip Green and his wife, Lord Harmsworth, the Barclay Brothers and Rupert Murdoch all chipping in to help with the cost of public services.

Ooooops, sorry, my mistake, no we don't.

https://www.ft.com/content/2b356956-17fc-11e8-9376-4a6390addb44

Agree

Agree

I saw some figures the other day; we are consuming Earth's resources at such a rate, we actually need 1.4 Earths to sustain it.
By 2050 (could even have been 2030?), this will rise to 2 Earths' worth.
This is neither sustainable, nor moral (IMHO).

Now I understand and agree. The current economic model is based on consumption and through the market mechanism in the whole do we decide how resources are rationed. So we need a new way or economic model to ration finite resources.

Sponsored Links
Back